• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Old-world not eating

dieselfangs

On either the 15th or the 16th of December, I got a few more Ts to add to my collection, and one of them happened to be my first old-world, a female Cameroon Rust Baboon (Hysterocrates gigas). Evidently I'm aware of how aggressive and stubborn they are, as well as how reclusive their nature is, but seeing such little activity has gotten me concerned.

When I first got her, her abdomen was really, really thin. Obviously my first instinct was to feed her as soon as I installed her into her enclosure. I started her off with a juvenile-sized cricket, and after some observation, she seemed bothered by it, so I waited a while until it was at a safe distance from her and removed it. Assuming it was due to all the moving-around, I decided to let her make her burrow (Coconut fiber, what I've used for all my Ts and never had a problem with) after she got used to the conditions, and reluctantly that only took an hour or so. I tried another cricket, a bit smaller, and she ate it.

However, her abdomen seemed to remain the same. Fast-forward about 6-7 more attempts of me trying to feed her (I shortened the usual length of about a week or so and tried every 3-4 days). Completely refused to eat, despite the disheartening size. Fortunately, she ate a super worm I gave to her just a week ago, yet she displayed no signs of aggression whatsoever, and ate her food much more subtly than even my new worlds normally do. And even still, her abdomen looks the same size.

What's even more of a pain in the ass is that she only wants to burrow under her water dish, not the natural cork hide I provided for her.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? :(

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Photos will help us see if you T looks ok or not. Hysterocrates gigas abdomens are long and thinner looking then your average tarantula. Heres my adult female.
20191219_185422.jpg
20191019_130723.jpg

Latest posts