1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Odd moult routine.

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by Enn49, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

My little Ami sp. Panama has an odd routine when she moults. She will barricade herself into her hidey hole as you'd expect, covering the opening with web and substrate and hiding away for around a week, quite normal you think but then she reappears. She then spends a day constructing a cocoon of web under the plant where she will flip and moult. This seems to have become the norm for her as she has gone through the same routine for the last 3-4 moults.

This shows her hidey hole (red circle) and her cocoon (yellow circle) DSCF2344.JPG

All done
    DSCF2342.JPG
    LC72uk likes this.
  2. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Active Member

Who says tarantulas don't have personality! I wonder what makes it "think" to go through this whole routine.
  3. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

They certainly do have individual personalities, I have 3 N. chromatus that all behave in different ways and 4 B. albo are all slightly different in behaviour too. The Ami surprised me the 1st time she did it but I've got used to her odd habit now but I'd love to know why she does it too.
Draft saved Draft deleted