• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OBT scare

arachbiodude

Was looking for T and it flew out like bat out of hell. Got in back in with aquarium tube.

Attachments

• obtscare.jpg
    obtscare.jpg
    424.6 KB · Views: 15
  • obtscare2.jpg
    obtscare2.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 16
  • obtscare3.jpg
    obtscare3.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 14

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad you got it back safely, they can certainly be fast.
I remember the day I got my first T, an OBT, and my son had opened the container door to look at her, she escaped, ran round to the back of the container. He just grabbed hold of her and put her back in her home.

arachbiodude

I'm glad you got it back safely, they can certainly be fast.
I remember the day I got my first T, an OBT, and my son had opened the container door to look at her, she escaped, ran round to the back of the container. He just grabbed hold of her and put her back in her home.
I thought they would bite us with medically significant venom.

Spiders&Snakes

Glad you got her back in safe.

I've found that the bites are a bit overstated. Sure, they are painful but the feeling passes after a few hours. Pop 2 codeine tablets and when the codeine kicks in after 20 mins the pain is pretty tolerable and you can just go about your day.

Of course, better to not getting bitten in the first instance. But you do find a lot of people exaggerating about how bad it is.

I fractured my leg last year and THAT pain was twice as bad as the OBT bite.

MidnightArachnids

Tarantula Club Member
Glad you got her back in safe.

I've found that the bites are a bit overstated. Sure, they are painful but the feeling passes after a few hours. Pop 2 codeine tablets and when the codeine kicks in after 20 mins the pain is pretty tolerable and you can just go about your day.

Of course, better to not getting bitten in the first instance. But you do find a lot of people exaggerating about how bad it is.

I fractured my leg last year and THAT pain was twice as bad as the OBT bite.
Not every bite is the same.. just like injuries. I gave one of my friends a P. regalis. 6" female if I remember correctly. For some reason or another it got out. He ended up being bitten on his calf. He was fine after 4 hours. The next day he had muscle cramps, etc but went away by that night.

The other friend ended up being tagged by a female ornata while attempting to breed. Not sure of her exact size. His hand swelled. He said it was like fire traveling up us arm. After 20 minutes he started bleeding from his gums. He had muscle spasms along with chest pain. After 2 days, a majority of the pain stopped. It was almost 3 weeks before all symptoms stopped. During that time he had some muscle spasms and stiffness in his arm.

There are many factors that come into play. Size of the spider, location of the bite and how much venom was injected. Along with the type of T. You also got to take into consideration of a person's pain tolerance.

MidnightArachnids

Tarantula Club Member
Bleeding from gums sounds serious, like emergency room visit. Wow.
Not exactly. Some experience it. Some don't. It's kind of slight.

A ER visit may not be necessary but if you have high blood pressure or other types of medical issues, it may not be a bad idea to go. Sometimes you are given pain killers and or antihistamines and sent on your way.

Latest posts