• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Obligitory instroduction: Glad to be here

Underclock

3 Year Member
Hey,

About ten years ago, I worked at a pet store that carried tarantulas. I know what you're thinking, but bear with me. At this pet store there worked an old man who looked like a goblin, and he knew his ****, but more importantly, he was the guy in charge of training me on the non-mammal section of the store, and I feel like I got a pretty good idea on tarantula care.

Fast forward to this decade, last December my girlfriend and I were at our local petsmart, and I remember remarking to myself now that I'm an adult, how affordable that tarantula is, and then remembered I already knew how to care for them. I had bought that little black spider by the end of the week. By the end of January I had read the tarantula keeper's guide cover to cover, and by March I had 9 Ts under my care (8 currently, I unfortunately lost my Euathlus sp. red).

I currently have (in the order I acquired them, all measurements except Bishop's are approximate):
A. avicularia, (f) 4" named bishop
A. avicularia, (f) 2.5" named The Corsair (she had an interesting color pattern, I had hoped she was mislabeled at the store)
A. seemanni, (?) 4.5" named Spooky. She was sold to me at a reptile show, the breeder had her labeled as "brazilian skeleton tarantula", which is where she gets her spooky scary name
P. metallica, (suspected f) 2" named Violet. She was probably 3/4" when I got her, from the same vendor I got Spooky from. They grow up so fast
B. smithi, (f) 4" named Taco, missing half of her back two right side legs
B. smithi, (m) 2" named Chico. He's engaged to Taco
GBB, (f) 5" named Big Momma Blue. The girlfriend kept mishearing "green bottle blue" and started calling her that, I call her blue for short
G. rosea (f) 3.5" named Rose. Probably the least imaginative name, it was another pick by the girlfriend

The late Euathlus sp. red, (f) 2.5-3", named Red. She was such a sweat spider, I had her for a month to the day before she passed, not sure what killed her. Preserved her in an alcohol gel matrix

Here's an imgur gallery of them all, taken before I got a phone with a good quality camera, so if anybody wants to see a clearer shot of any of them, just ask, I probably have one on my phone already.

http://imgur.com/a/ta046

Thistles

3 Year Member
Welcome aboard! Imgur is not a friendly place for tarantulas, I have to say. By the way, your avics look more like metallica than avic avic.

Underclock

3 Year Member
Welcome aboard! Imgur is not a friendly place for tarantulas, I have to say. By the way, your avics look more like metallica than avic avic.
Bishop? Yeah, I know, I suspect she is, petsmart probably doesn't care that much about actuate labeling of spiders. I'm also hoping the corsair turns out to be a versi. Maybe you can lend a second opinion, she's my avatar, look like a juvie versi to you? (Like an in between stage between blue sling and full color)

Edit: I see now you were referring to both of them

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:T:I have either a cross breed or A metallica bought at a petco labeled as a A avic. I'm waiting to see how large it gets. Its already larger than an A avic. Too bad I can't positively ID it. Welcome to the forum Underclock.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh it will Underclock , don`t worry about that. Done me wonders , My collection is constantly growing, every week.
Just can`t help myself. Until October last year , I had 1 T. I Joined the Forum in March with I think 4/5 T`s.
I now have 24 and got 3 more due next week. :):D:T::T:
But your addiction is now terminal @LC72 .......lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bishop? Yeah, I know, I suspect she is, petsmart probably doesn't care that much about actuate labeling of spiders. I'm also hoping the corsair turns out to be a versi. Maybe you can lend a second opinion, she's my avatar, look like a juvie versi to you? (Like an in between stage between blue sling and full color)

Welcome to the forum. You will love it here. RE: your avatar pic (corsair). Don't think that is a versi but looking at the pic, there are some similarities with the avic. Metallica. Always difficult with avics until fully mature.

Thistles

3 Year Member

Yeah, sorry to disappoint. She looks like a metallica, too. Versi blue is much more intense and metallic.

PetSmart and Petco just get whatever their vendors send them and they only have a few SKUs for the spiders. The tags they use read something like:
Pink Toe Tarantula
Avicularia avicularia
Difficulty: Intermediate
And then they just put whatever the supplier sends them when they order a pink toe in that enclosure. I once was at a Petco that had both a Psalmopoeus irminia and a Brachypelma vagans. Not a bad selection, but the tags were reversed!

Underclock

3 Year Member
Oh it's no disappointment. I got her because she was an interesting looking spider. I don't plan on breeding either of them, so their exact species isn't terribly important

Latest posts