• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

O. diamantinensis - terrestrial or arboreal?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When I first got my O. diamantinensis, everything I'd read about them said terrestrial so I housed it in this

Since it has moulted a couple of times it is in need of a larger container so I have bought it a 4'' x 4'' x 5'' high box. the problem I have is how do I set it up, arboreal or terrestrial? I have never seen it down on the substrate, it lives on or in its webbing at the top. The whole tub is webbed with tunnels running through it where it hides if disturbed and takes its food to eat.

Its home now

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enn from what i have read they are mainly aboreal with terrestrial tendencies. If that helps u out any. :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Enn from what i have read they are mainly aboreal with terrestrial tendencies. If that helps u out any. :)

That about sums this one up except I've never seen it on the ground since it began its webbing. I think I'll go half and half :T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Culli, the O. diamantinensis has grown a lot since this thread was started. She very rarely goes down below, has webbed profusely and spends almost all her time on top of the web.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look at the body structure. It's got the body structure of a terrestrial so I personally would house it as such. With certain species, like GBB's and OBT's, them falling isn't AS much of a concern as it is with most terrestrials due to them being better climbers than most. I wouldn't say that most terrestrials have arboreal habits though, I do feel that that's a bit of an inaccurate statement. Brachypelmas, Aphonopelma, Grammastola, Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, are all very large and diverse genera with many recognizable species in the hobby. Pretty much all of these are, in my experience, rather poor/clumsy climbers, and more prone to falling. This all comes down to the fact that their bodies are simply not designed for an arboreal lifestyle.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Look at the body structure. It's got the body structure of a terrestrial so I personally would house it as such. With certain species, like GBB's and OBT's, them falling isn't AS much of a concern as it is with most terrestrials due to them being better climbers than most. I wouldn't say that most terrestrials have arboreal habits though, I do feel that that's a bit of an inaccurate statement. Brachypelmas, Aphonopelma, Grammastola, Acanthoscurria, Theraphosa, Lasiodora, are all very large and diverse genera with many recognizable species in the hobby. Pretty much all of these are, in my experience, rather poor/clumsy climbers, and more prone to falling. This all comes down to the fact that their bodies are simply not designed for an arboreal lifestyle.

She's was kept in a deli as a sling and chose to web that and live at the top. Now she is in a 4"w x 4"d x 5h" container and immediately webbed the whole of it with tunnels running through but she spend almost all of the time at the very top. Now you say she's wrong in her choice and should do what you say and live on the ground, I somehow don't think she'd be too pleased.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's not a lot out there for research on these. What i've been able to find agree they're a cross between terrestrial and aboreal but most tend to the aboreal side with heavy webbing and tunnels. Similar to the GBB that is a terrestrial but tends to web heavy and live in the tunnels rather on the ground.

I keep trying to tell this to my son but he'd bound and determined his GBB will be a ground dwelling spider. Maybe this coming week while he's gone if Marley hasn't molted yet i'll put in something it can web on and make it's hammock and whatever.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's not a lot out there for research on these. What i've been able to find agree they're a cross between terrestrial and aboreal but most tend to the aboreal side with heavy webbing and tunnels. Similar to the GBB that is a terrestrial but tends to web heavy and live in the tunnels rather on the ground.

I keep trying to tell this to my son but he'd bound and determined his GBB will be a ground dwelling spider. Maybe this coming week while he's gone if Marley hasn't molted yet i'll put in something it can web on and make it's hammock and whatever.

Her webbing is amazing, the top layer is a solid platform. Down below is a warren or tunnels and she usually moults near the top. In fact I honestly can't remember her ever being on the floor except just after a rehouse before she's rebuilt her web. Another thing I have noticed about her is that she likes being in the light

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is she aggressive? I'm looking at getting myself a GBB but might go with this one instead

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is she aggressive? I'm looking at getting myself a GBB but might go with this one instead

Mine isn't, in fact she probably the most placid of all my Ts. As a sling she was very quick but now she sits on the web almost touching the lid but if I open the container she'll turn round to see what's happening but never threatens or tries to escape. The most reaction from her is when I drop food in, she likes her food.

I must have one or two. Didn't the Oligoxystre get a genus name change recently? Or am I confusing it with another?

I've not seen anything about a name change for this one but don't quote me on that

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's was kept in a deli as a sling and chose to web that and live at the top. Now she is in a 4"w x 4"d x 5h" container and immediately webbed the whole of it with tunnels running through but she spend almost all of the time at the very top. Now you say she's wrong in her choice and should do what you say and live on the ground, I somehow don't think she'd be too pleased.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying you can tell they're terrestrial simply by looking at the way the body is designed. They don't have the flattened foot pads of an arboreal and have more of the somewhat bulkier terrestrial body. You can keep yours however you wish, that's really besides the point. I'm not sure you're really understanding where I'm coming from here. I'm looking at the species as a whole, not one particular individual. If that's what works for you that's great , and this is definitely one of those species that the set-up can be sort of tweaked a bit for, due to them having some arboreal habits as well. If you took a picture of this species though and put it next to an arboreal species like an Avic for example, you'd notice so many differences in the way their bodies are designed, and what types of environments they are adapted to live in based on this design. No need to get defensive, I'm not telling you how you should keep yours, I'm just interested in discussing why I feel they should be classified as terrestrial.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying you can tell they're terrestrial simply by looking at the way the body is designed. They don't have the flattened foot pads of an arboreal and have more of the somewhat bulkier terrestrial body. You can keep yours however you wish, that's really besides the point. I'm not sure you're really understanding where I'm coming from here. I'm looking at the species as a whole, not one particular individual. If that's what works for you that's great , and this is definitely one of those species that the set-up can be sort of tweaked a bit for, due to them having some arboreal habits as well. If you took a picture of this species though and put it next to an arboreal species like an Avic for example, you'd notice so many differences in the way their bodies are designed, and what types of environments they are adapted to live in based on this design. No need to get defensive, I'm not telling you how you should keep yours, I'm just interested in discussing why I feel they should be classified as terrestrial.

I understand what you're saying but I'm talking of my experience of this particular species. She may look like a terrestrial T but all her instincts are arboreal. I've had her from a tiny sling (15 months ago) and she has never shown any terrestrial inclinations.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine isn't, in fact she probably the most placid of all my Ts. As a sling she was very quick but now she sits on the web almost touching the lid but if I open the container she'll turn round to see what's happening but never threatens or tries to escape. The most reaction from her is when I drop food in, she likes her food.

I've not seen anything about a name change for this one but don't quote me on that
I believe there was a name change? Think the genus was originally identified as Oligoxystre.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Checking out this thread. I recently obtained a sling and am in the process of expanding its enclosure. I agree with Enn on behavior but going with Chubbs regarding enclosures. Thinking this spider is quite the webber and betting they will spend the bulk of their lives a few inches off the ground?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they did have a name change, they're now Dolichothele diamantinensis. I keep looking at getting one but always find something i want more. going to have to break down and just get one lol.

Everything i've been able to find on them say they're a semi-arboreal, like a GBB.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
set em up like a GBB then. Terrestrial and some low things to climb on and let it do what it wants.

Latest posts