• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

nutritional question for tarantulas

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
Okay, I have a question and I apologize if it's been asked already, but are there feeder insects that are healthier for T's than others, or does it really matter??? I've heard about being careful not to mice too often, which I don't anyway, but are there better feeder insects than just the usual crickets? Thank you for in the input, everyone.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
In the wild they eat all kinds of different stuff. I know many people who feed one insect species to their spiders, crickets for example, and their tarantulas grow up and seem to do just fine. If the food insect is gut loaded with a variety of things over time, it seems like this should work. It just doesn't sit well with me. I like to feed my animals a wide variety of prey items. I think it is better for them both nutritionally, and behaviorally. I have no scientific studies to back any of this up. Just my feelings and opinions on the matter.

I have a friend who is a breeder of several species and subspecies of Drymarchon snakes. These snakes eat just about anything that moves in the wild. They can certainly survive on a rodent only diet, but he gets better breeding and better health by offering a variety of food items to his snakes. I'm following his lead and its working out great so far.

Similarly, I have a group of baby red Ackies. In the wild, it is written, they are mostly insectivorous. I've been feeding them nothing but insects for months, and they haven't grown much. I recently started adding other things to their diet, and SURPRISE!, they've all begun having a growth spurt.

To answer your question more specifically: Yes. Some insects are better than others. Crickets aren't too bad nutritionally speaking, but they are just awful to have around. They stink, they are noisy, they drop dead for no reason, etc... Roaches are excellent food insects and have a higher meat to shell ratio than crickets or meal worms. Mealworms are a whole lotta chitin, and not very nutritious in comparison to other common feeders. Super worms are better than "regular" meal worms, but still not great. Black soldier fly larva are good and are also very high in calcium. This fact is more important for reptiles than our tarantulas. Waxworms are a bit fatty, but good for variety. I don't have much experience with hornworms or silkworms.

I prefer roaches. I have four species currently, but I've had lots more in the past. I feed my spiders an assortment of insects. So far so good.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I really appreciate the insight. However, how do you get the roaches to run around, so the tarantula chases it? I dropped a roach near my T and practically just sat and didn't take it. I don't doubt that roaches are probably way more healthy than crickets, however.
I prod the roach with my forceps to get it to move. Only the dubia sit still like that. Other species run for their lives.

loganloves

I really appreciate the insight. However, how do you get the roaches to run around, so the tarantula chases it? I dropped a roach near my T and practically just sat and didn't take it. I don't doubt that roaches are probably way more healthy than crickets, however.
Tongs my good friend. Invest in some tongs. Bug isn't moving? wiggle wiggle little bug, works for me every single time!