• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating

My spider has not eaten in a long time now, everytime I put food in it runs away from it, can someon

• ??

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Trew321

3 Year Member
My spider has not eaten in a long time now, everytime I put food in it runs away from it, can someone tell me why?? I would have a better picture but it seems to hid it's face even tho it has a cave

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 23

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could you tell us more about your tarantula, what species is it, how big, how long have you had it? Also a better picture would help.

Trew321

3 Year Member
I'm not 100% sure of the species Possibly about 4-5 inches had it about a year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 22

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Has it moulted at all while you've had it? It looks as though it could be in premoult. How long since it last ate?

Trew321

3 Year Member
It hasn't moulted yet and it's been like this for about 2-3 months and I haven't seen it eat for the same amount it just hides from it

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds to me as if it's premoult. As tarantulas age their moults take longer and so does the fasting although not all fast. They can go long periods without food, just make sure it has plenty of fresh water.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Ok, thank you
If u want, pre kill the prey(food), and drop it right in front of the Ts hide. Check a day later and see if it's been eaten. If it ate the food, then good....perhaps it's stressed by live prey. If it doesn't eat the food, then like Enn said, it's prolly pre molt. If that's the case, simply leave it alone, except for a always fresh, full water bowl. Id try n feed it pre killed every few days or so just in case...that way the T won't be stressed by a creature jumping around it.
Lastly, can't tell from ur pix, BUT if it's not in pre molt, AND it's a male, it could be that like normal, males simply don't eat as much as females when they mature. Sure seems male from that body type

Trew321

3 Year Member
So I tried the dead food outside the cave and he just moved it, would it be bad for me to not feed him for a couple of weeks?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I tried the dead food outside the cave and he just moved it, would it be bad for me to not feed him for a couple of weeks?
nope they can go months without eating. A week or 2 won't hurt. Can you get pics of the front 2 legs for us?

terror_corpz

3 Year Member
Abdomen looks nice and plump I wouldn't worry like the guys say could be in pre moult. First glance I was thinking g rosea they can fast for ages mine didn't eat for a 8 months just make sure you have fresh water at all times try a cricket in a couple of weeks if she's not interested take the cricket out