• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not a shampain video.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well done. Most beginners have much shakier hands. The number one thing to remember is keep cool and don't panic if something happens. That was a very well behaved obt.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks for that, as a real beginner and someone who is absolutely petrified of handling or transferring spiders I found that very appropriate to me and very useful to see, very interesting to see how slow and steady you need to be, I admit I panic so I’ve learnt slow and steady and calm with clever devices in place, like the catch up with holes, is the way to go.
Great, Thanks and thanks to all those whose advice helped you too.

Tnoob

Thanks for that, as a real beginner and someone who is absolutely petrified of handling or transferring spiders I found that very appropriate to me and very useful to see, very interesting to see how slow and steady you need to be, I admit I panic so I’ve learnt slow and steady and calm with clever devices in place, like the catch up with holes, is the way to go.
Great, Thanks and thanks to all those whose advice helped you too.
I always feel a little nervous when transferring, and honestly I think I get lucky with my spiders. They all seem well behaved. I've listened to the advice of most here, and I've watched countless hours of video from Tom Moran. I'm not saying I'm a T god, but if it's worth doing it's worth getting a hard time over. I feel like this went too easy. I watch that shampain video every time I buy a new spider.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I always feel a little nervous when transferring, and honestly I think I get lucky with my spiders. They all seem well behaved. I've listened to the advice of most here, and I've watched countless hours of video from Tom Moran. I'm not saying I'm a T god, but if it's worth doing it's worth getting a hard time over. I feel like this went too easy. I watch that shampain video every time I buy a new spider.
I watch it when I have a bad day. :D

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Tnoob yes, heart beat for me definitely goes sky high but the video was great! I have one to transfer soon so will be following the tips! Still great to see how calm one can be and how when it goes right it goes so well.
Now I don’t know about this Shampain video, I’ve never seen it, I’m very curious now! I can find it in the search bar here I guess?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Tnoob yes, heart beat for me definitely goes sky high but the video was great! I have one to transfer soon so will be following the tips! Still great to see how calm one can be and how when it goes right it goes so well.
Now I don’t know about this Shampain video, I’ve never seen it, I’m very curious now! I can find it in the search bar here I guess?

Here you go

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm a little nervous to share this, but I made it. Hope you guys enjoy it. Hope someone finds it useful.

That's as close to perfect as you can get!! Well played. Moving slowly is the key. Yes, they don't like wet cold feet very much either!!

I like how you did the deli cup as well. You should definitely be able to fill the water dish with an eye dropper or pipette. Putting mealworms or similar feeders through the air holes likewise shouldn't be a problem either. This will minimize perturbing the spider.

I tend to wear a ski mask (or should do so) when I'm doing mine in case I sneeze or whatever.

You should do just fine with pokies or other baboon species.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Enn49 thanks for the link, that’s very kind. An unusual video for sure! :D
@Tnoob thanks again, great video, I bought a big bottle of pop so I can make my own catch cup now.:)
@Whitelightning777 i like the idea of a ski mask, I was trying to look at the Typhochlaena molt through the microscope before soaking it so it was dry and so tiny it kept moving when I breathed!
I will get a mask and look completely normal! o_O

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes it helps, sometimes not.

Dissecting scope.jpg

spodermin

I'm going to post my shampain video soon for everyones viewing pleasure

And this made me LOL because of how much precaution you took for a calm little OBT hahaha. Not that you did anything wrong, just made me laugh if you saw how I do it

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm going to post my shampain video soon for everyones viewing pleasure

And this made me LOL because of how much precaution you took for a calm little OBT hahaha. Not that you did anything wrong, just made me laugh if you saw how I do it

That is the video link that I posted.

He didn't do that TWICE did he???

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

You can use needle or razor blade resistant gloves like the ones that cops or mechanics use.

Won't get fooled again 3.jpg

Here's a nice transfer of my second pokie to her new home. Also, NOT a shampian88 video!!

You don't really want to strong arm the tarantula and force it into something. It'll panic, fight back or run.

It's best to help the tarantula conclude on it's own that it actually wants to go where directed because it's mildly annoying where it already is.

Last edited:

spodermin

You can use needle or razor blade resistant gloves like the ones that cops or mechanics use.

View attachment 38650

Here's a nice transfer of my second pokie to her new home. Also, NOT a shampian88 video!!

You don't really want to strong arm the tarantula and force it into something. It'll panic, fight back or run.

It's best to help the tarantula conclude on it's own that it actually wants to go where directed because it's mildly annoying where it already is.

There is more to come let me just put it that way, stay tuned

Also cop gloves, the problem is that it can just walk across them and then they're useless. It would be like a beekeeper only wearing half the costume