• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Normal Old Male Behavior?

Hagraven

Hi folks,

My mature male chilobrachys is at least several months old, if not older. He was eating, making webs, and occasionally roaming. Now he spends a huge amount of time in the corners of his enclosure or against the wall of the enclosure, with his legs held up. He won't accept food either these days, though his abdomen is still plump.

I have made sure all his needs are met, and nothing has changed in his environment. He just started this legs up behavior. I just want to make sure this is normal for an older male, and that I'm not accidentally neglecting his needs...

Thank you for your help

20221103_152627.jpg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sadly once males are mature there is little interest in food or water. Some mature males can survive a couple of years, while others fade more quickly.

Mature males are also more prone to taking walks when the lid is removed. As their drive is now 100% focused on looking for a female. You will also possibly start hearing him knocking (drumming) on the side of his enclosure.

Hagraven

Sadly once males are mature there is little interest in food or water. Some mature males can survive a couple of years, while others fade more quickly.

Mature males are also more prone to taking walks when the lid is removed. As their drive is now 100% focused on looking for a female. You will also possibly start hearing him knocking (drumming) on the side of his enclosure.
Thank you for your help. Watching him slow down, holding up his legs, and often keeping to the corners had worried me. I'm lucky to have watched him pair with my female -he taught me a lot in such a short amount of time : )