• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Noobie question

Meran88

I have done some research and I know that pink toes like vertical enclosures, I currently have a juvie pink toe (1.5-2") in a ten gallon tank with a tree and cave currently...I plan on getting a larger setup(vertical) after her molt(Tiffany is her name after the bride of Chucky)..do I need to get a vertical now or stick with my plan of moving after molt?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum to you and Tiffany.
Please take a minute to introduce yourself in the introductions section as well as sharing a picture of Chucky's bride in her setup :)
Cheers.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's a mature female Avicularia avicularia. She's pushing 6" and 14 years of age. She lives in a 8x8x12 exoterra arboreal enclosure. You can place 3 of these enclosures into your 10 gallon tank for your 2" juvenile.
20211204_095251.jpg

sunset

You don't have to go conventional enclosure wise. I as well as many T owners use a variety of enclosures from rubber made tubs, old food/storage jars, acrilic, plexy glass, the sky is the limit. What you really need to focus on is not how it looks so much but what the T NEEDS to be happy. Glass/ plastic, real plants/fake plants all are for our enjoyment but the main focus is that the T has what it needs to live.
I bought an arborial T, P. Cambridge , common the Trinidad Chevron, my local pet shop didn't have an enclosure the right size that I needed. So I took out a bunch different sized jars I had laying around the house and came up with this: it's a jar that I got a bunch of christians cookie cutters in. I washed it out, melted holes in it so it has plenty of cross ventilation. I made sure that she has a cork hide placed upright, some substrate , and a plant and some moss, leaves so she dosnt feel exposed/ help with temp and humidity regulation as that's what her species needs. Usually she's in her cork tube hide. But the point is the basic needs that she requires to thrive are met. The beauty of the enclosure is for us. T's don't care what's inside, and they don't know the difference between the set ups but they do need certain things to live. And husbandry can be a BIG factor as to how well your T survives and in some cases could be life or death. I don't mean to sound harsh but husbandry is a big deal when it comes to the health and welfare of your T. Don't let the idea of having to have the perfect set up get in the way of the basic husbandry needs. Needs always out way the benefit of the "perfect" set up if the set up isn't what the T NEEDS. I hope this is helpful and makes sense.

Attachments

• 16472750683814752134174152766754.jpg
    16472750683814752134174152766754.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

sunset

Yes, switch your arborial (lives in trees) tarantula to an arborial enclosure. An arboreal tarantula is in essence made to climb, they are faster and they jump. If you keep your t this way, it could be come so stressed from it's husbandry that it could become increasingly defensive every time you open the enclosure, because it has no place to climb up high away from things it feels are a threat.it may even try to escape all the time to get to a higher space. It could also stop eating as it uses it's web tunnel to catch food.thry don't burrow and use a web mat. They have better eye sight then terrestrial as well so it's going to be in constant fear and stress from being out in the open. These things could all cause your t to not thrive and possible die. Humidity and ventilation are also super important in arboreal species You wouldn't have a bird live in a fish tank.

Latest posts