• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nhandu Tripepii Sling had lunch and is now hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dw07u

Hey everyone, so I got a sling two days ago(my first T), I set up a standard, small enclosure(top ventilation).

I placed it in there, let it roam around for a few hours and then gave it a few crickets, it ate, seemed happy, walked around a bit, then went into the hide, spun a few lines in front of the opening, and I have not seen it again. I know they are known to be skittish as slings, I guess with it being my first I am just concerned. We do have subtropical climate here but we are in wintertime now, so outside without windchill, we are looking at around 18 degrees Celcius LOW most days with low 20's during the day, but the bedroom where I am keeping it is usually a few degrees warmer.

I did have the enclosure in a spot where it got an hour or 2 worth of sunlight through a curtain and half of the substrate (that I did moisten) did show some condensation on the glass.

So I'm hoping this would maintain humidity and temps, I did read somewhere that they do not like bright light or so, so my desk is ideal as we keep the area pretty dimly lit.

Am I over stressing? Does the enclosure need more/less sun/light exposure?

Any advice would help. I've only ever kept jumping spiders or the like, and only for a few months, so ya... TIA

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
I wouldnt worry about keeping your T anywhere near the sunlight.. They prefer being kept in darker areas and not near any direct sunlight if possible.. Temps sounds fine and I wouldnt worry about humidity as long as its got a dish of water at all times ( you can overflow it now and then and move it to different places to allow the sub to dry out in those areas) it will be fine.
Nhandus are definitely a skittish species :) congrats on getting your little one and welcome to the tarantula hobby.. Many more Ts will follow ;)

Dw07u

Hi
I wouldnt worry about keeping your T anywhere near the sunlight.. They prefer being kept in darker areas and not near any direct sunlight if possible.. Temps sounds fine and I wouldnt worry about humidity as long as its got a dish of water at all times ( you can overflow it now and then and move it to different places to allow the sub to dry out in those areas) it will be fine.
Nhandus are definitely a skittish species :) congrats on getting your little one and welcome to the tarantula hobby.. Many more Ts will follow ;)
Thank you so much for that.

I'm pretty keen to see this one grow up, so I just want to not mess things up. :)

I think I'll keep it where it is now, no direct sunlight but a bit indirect in the mornings. Thank you so much again.

Dw07u

Hey, so the enclosure is 7x7x7 centimeters. I will increase the thickness of the substrate on the next clean as they like to burrow?

I kept referring to 'him' in the video, but I do not know the gender yet.
So sorry for the bad Audio, need to adjust my noise filter settings. I just used the torch on my phone for the video.

I'd like to move it to a cross-ventilated enclosure sometime, just need to build one. Is perspex or plexiglass safe to use?

Jim_in_PA

I would recommend a condiment cup, this is what I have mine in. Pictured on the left. Everything you are describing are cons of using an oversized enclosure for small slings.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 5

Dw07u

I would recommend a condiment cup, this is what I have mine in. Pictured on the left. Everything you are describing are cons of using an oversized enclosure for small slings.
I do appreciate the advice, but if it's not going to harm the T, then...

To be honest I think It's much easier for me to set up a safe environment for it in this slightly larger than a condiment cup environment. I mean, if my research is accurate, this species does not like bright light, so a hide of sorts would be required, inside the condiment cup there is just not enough horizontal floor space for that and some room to roam around in.

I just checked on the little one and it's doing fine, it seems to be enjoying the hide, so even though I cannot observe it too often, I think having it in the slightly larger enclosure is best in the long run.

The research I have done did say that they tend to hide as slings and as they get bigger they become more confident and roam, so I shall be very patient.

I took the hide out and guided it towards the water bowl and it was just fine, I placed the hide back, just barely enough room for my hands to do so and it paused for a moment, and went right back inside.

So far I'd say the temperament is "skittish but not bolty".

Tarantulas, in general, are pretty inactive from what I can gather, it's a rather big change from the spiders I'm used to. Even with my boss's late Chilean Rose(adult), I was like "it's just sitting there", a few hours later I turn and look at the tank again and it's moved like 5cm... For my Jumpers, I have a medium-sized rounded cookie jar, the ones you can have either at a 45-degree angle or straight up.

They explore and go crazy. A few days ago I caught a spider I was unfamiliar with, very very tiny, and put it in there (alone obviously) planning on photographing it the next day, I got there the next day and this little one later identified as 'Achaearanae. Ant-eating Theridiid.', had lines all over the enclosure, even started to lift some substrate all the way to the top.

So I need to get used to the idea of not seeing the T being that active.

Thank you for all the advice and replies thus far.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m a fan of “oversized” enclosures. I still won’t use vials at all and I think if someone is new to the hobby then a slightly larger enclosure is a great idea. It eliminates the concern of is it too dry or wet, you have the space to create a gradient. Over exposure isn’t a problem if a suitable hide is provided (which it is). And the argument that a sling won’t be able to hunt is eliminated by leaving pre killed items. Even now I like to use larger enclosures than needed althou space is becoming an issue :).

Dw07u

I’m a fan of “oversized” enclosures. I still won’t use vials at all and I think if someone is new to the hobby then a slightly larger enclosure is a great idea. It eliminates the concern of is it too dry or wet, you have the space to create a gradient. Over exposure isn’t a problem if a suitable hide is provided (which it is). And the argument that a sling won’t be able to hunt is eliminated by leaving pre killed items. Even now I like to use larger enclosures than needed althou space is becoming an issue :).

Thanks for this...:)

There is an argument that the slings won't be able to hunt? I'd imagine this would only be in a massively oversized enclosure, as this little guy/gal took out the crickets with ease.

ALSO, tomorrow is a week since I last fed it, should I attempt to feed if it's still hiding tomorrow or wait until it comes out?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would offer food but if it’s burrowed the crush the crickets head and leave it by the entrance overnight. If it wants to eat then it will.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is nothing but CONS to oversized sling enclosures. A condiment cup IS the slings hide, they utilize the entire cup as their hide.
So your saying that a T makes it’s entire enclosure it’s hide? So when you remove the lid you pretty much tearing the roof off the Ts hide and that’s a good thing? You realise how stupid you sound when you say that?

. In the wild how big is the enclosure a T is in?
let’s say for arguments sake it’s 500 square miles.
within this land mass a T will make a burrow and live within it.
Now let’s say for arguments sake we take that burrow and put it in a box , 7x7x7 . Then we prevent bad things like predators entering this box, weekly we offer prey items within the box and we make sure fresh water is available if required. Where’s the con?
now for the positives of an oversized enclosure. It’s more substantial in size and better to look at. That’s a benefit to us but what about the Ts?
Well if we can easily without fail create a gradient within the box of temperature and humidity then the T can choose exactly where it wants to be.
Or how about a T being able to stay within an enclosure for a lot longer duration without requiring rehousing? That’s better for us and the Ts.

It all comes down to personal preference. I prefer oversized yet I do also have Ts in deli cups and small containers. You prefer smaller enclosures and that’s fine. But when someone new to the hobby is doing nothing wrong yet you try to push your preferences and give incorrect information then it’s not helpful.

Jim_in_PA

So your saying that a T makes it’s entire enclosure it’s hide? So when you remove the lid you pretty much tearing the roof off the Ts hide and that’s a good thing? You realise how stupid you sound when you say that?

. In the wild how big is the enclosure a T is in?
let’s say for arguments sake it’s 500 square miles.
within this land mass a T will make a burrow and live within it.
Now let’s say for arguments sake we take that burrow and put it in a box , 7x7x7 . Then we prevent bad things like predators entering this box, weekly we offer prey items within the box and we make sure fresh water is available if required. Where’s the con?
now for the positives of an oversized enclosure. It’s more substantial in size and better to look at. That’s a benefit to us but what about the Ts?
Well if we can easily without fail create a gradient within the box of temperature and humidity then the T can choose exactly where it wants to be.
Or how about a T being able to stay within an enclosure for a lot longer duration without requiring rehousing? That’s better for us and the Ts.

It all comes down to personal preference. I prefer oversized yet I do also have Ts in deli cups and small containers. You prefer smaller enclosures and that’s fine. But when someone new to the hobby is doing nothing wrong yet you try to push your preferences and give incorrect information then it’s not helpful.

What are the PROS of using oversized enclosures for slings (Because you listed 0 above) ?

Here are a coupe of the CONS of using oversized enclosures for slings

1. You never see them
2. They rarely eat
3. They grow extremely slow
4. You cannot observe them daily

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m not going to argue with you cos you’ve clearly not read anything I wrote in the post.

Jim_in_PA

Why did OP post this thread ? Here is the title :

"Nhandu Tripepii Sling had lunch and is now hiding"

Here is OP's concern :

walked around a bit, then went into the hide, spun a few lines in front of the opening, and I have not seen it again. I know they are known to be skittish as slings, I guess with it being my first I am just concerned.

There is one reason he has not seen it again, nor will he see it much in the future. And that reason is because of an oversized enclosure. I understand your point with small enclosures for beginners as it does not take much water at all in the sub to create a stuffy, toxic environment and then your sling is dead within week. I would agree with that and it is definitely easier to control the environment in a bigger enclosure. When I started I had all of my slings in oversized enclosures and had the issues I listed above but could not figure out what I was doing wrong. The forums got me to switch to condiment cups and for me it was like night and day. Has been by far the easiest way to keep slings for me and that is why I would suggest it to anyone not using them.

All of my slings eat at least once a week (which for me is fun to do, feed them) and I can observe all of them daily, see them when they are molting, etc...

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I understand what your saying and you aren’t gonna let this go but are you telling me you don’t have a single sling that has burrowed? Or I’m assuming as you give small enclosures they don’t have to opportunity to?
his concern was that it has burrowed but only because he wasn’t sure if it was normal or not.
I can only assume by this aswell you’ve never kept anything fossorial or if you do you don’t have the setup correct

Dw07u

Well... That escalated quickly...

@Jim_in_PA Please for future reference, don't say say "Nothing but cons" and not explain, as a new member to the hobby I'm not going to take the word of some stranger on the internet at face value. Also, don't complain that @Rs50matt did not list any pros, because he actually did.

Here are a coupe of the CONS of using oversized enclosures for slings

1. You never see them
2. They rarely eat
3. They grow extremely slow
4. You cannot observe them daily

Here is what I make of your cons as opposed to just letting the spider have its space:(based on your very limited and less than detailed responses)
1. So you would prefer they are uncomfortable so you can selfishly observe them?
2. They are opportunistic eaters, if they hide, they are not necessarily hungry. If you offer food to often and overfeed, their abdomens could rupture in the event of even a fall from a short distance.(Or so I have read and heard)
3. I have literally read on multiple other pages that larger enclosures encourage growth.
4. The 4th con was a little redundant as it's similar to the 1st one.

I will not engage in mindless arguments over anything. I don't know you and frankly, I don't care if you are feeling personally attacked. I do not appreciate you starting an argument on my thread. This is supposed to be a place for me to learn and get/share advice and gain/share helpful insights.

There is nothing but CONS to oversized sling enclosures. A condiment cup IS the slings hide, they utilize the entire cup as their hide.
You make statements without explanation, only offering an explanation after an argument has been started. CAPITALIZING words do not add credibility to your statements, explanation, and reasoning do.

his concern was that it has burrowed but only because he wasn’t sure if it was normal or not.
You did interpret my original post correctly.

@Enn49 Please may I ask that you lock this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts