• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Next T?

Tacalmo Loves Spiders

3 Year Member
I am new to this forum, so he'll everyone!!
So this past Christmas my first T died, her name was Rosie, she was a Chilen Rose Hair, I am not certain of her sex, but i had her for 8 years. After she died, I have spent lots of time researching what a good T for me to get would be. My uncle has a large collection of Ts and he has suggested either a Pinktoe or a Red knee. Also, how advanced would I need to be to be able to cope with a King Baboon, my absolute favorite T?

Thanks

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Tacalmo Loves Spiders . Hi I've been keeping T's now since last November and have 14-15 I think. I've gone for T's which are more suitable for beginners. Here's a few of what I have..
Sorry about your lose after such a long time of ownership :(

1. B.Albop
2. P.Parvulus
3. B.Emilia
4. L.parahybana
5. G.Pulchra
6.B.Vagans
7. C.Cynaeopubescens
8. H. Incei
9. H. Incei
10. G.Pulchripes
11. B.Auratum
12. E.Weijenberghi
13. E. SP "RED"
14. B. Smithi
15. T. Lagunas

I would recommend any of the above
But it depends what u want really . If you want a T that likes webbing a lot I would go for number 7 & 8. If you want size choose 4. If you want good coloration choose 7/3/11/14. Etc etc
:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi. Sorry to hear about your rosie.

The B. smithi is a good starter but I'd also recommend B. albopilosum the Curly hair, as slings they tend to burrow but as they get bigger they spend more time in view. Mine have fascinated me scuttling around down below.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Enn49 . My B.Albop moulted last night could be my biggest T now but not sure.

@Tacalmo Loves Spiders . I would like to subtract number 2 from my list as this T is a pet rock to be honest .

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
May I also suggest an A. Geniculata? IMO, very pretty with their white stripes, great appetite and if you're not too fussed on handling (feisty attitude) great display spiders. Mine's quite a character: She's still quite docile (though I've been told on here that that may change, lol ;) ), but she's very funny to watch. She loves her water bowl and is almost territorial over it. Attacks the water when I refill it. Hunts down prey in record time, sometimes catches it midair and only seems to fast 2-3 weeks when in premolt.
My B. Boehmei has also become more "interesting" (sorry Boehmei, lol). When I first got him (I say him, though I don't know his sex yet) he dug a big hole and I didn't see him for over a month. I then rearranged his tub a bit, gave him a bigger hide and he ended up spending about a month in there. Since his last molt he's always out in the open. He's in a bigger tub now and he seems to be making use of all the space, always busy digging and carrying substrate around or emptying his water bowl.

@sym: So you finally got your T. Lagunas? Do you have any pics?

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Fuzzball79 . Haven't got it yet tts will be sending it out on Monday . I looked on there site this morning and found they had stock again . Won't be much of a picture @ 1cm lol. I will post a pic when it comes

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It depends how confident you are. You say your uncle has a fair collection so if you've been around any of his slings I see no harm in getting a sling and watching it grow and develop its adult colours. If you are less confident go for a larger sling or juvenile.

Latest posts