• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

News from my little family

Nunua

3 Year Member
Hi everyone,
been mostly lurking lately, so had a sudden urge to update what's going on with my little family :D
Besides the tiny C. elegans sling passing away some time ago, no sad things have happened.

Maisa (A. geniculata) is growing fast and after getting a new enclosure, she has been sitting on top of her hide a lot. She's also very confident on her surroundings and even if she retreats under the hide when I open the lid, she comes back to check if there would be tasty snack.

Eos (N. incei gold) is still as shy as ever, but after getting a bit better set of cork barks to make hides, she's been a bit more active with webbing things. She's also been a pain in the butt to feed sometimes as she tends to think even meal worms as threat, but I guess that after being able to create a nice, secure hide under the cork bark she finally grabbed a worm and actually ate it. Lovely little bunch of shyness, haha.

Sreaky (C. versicolor) has molted once in my care and seems to be happy in her enclosure. Feisty little eater who also loves to hang around the water dish-

Anki (S. angustum) is clearly going through puberty. The name is just shortened from the angsty kid :D Loves to bury water dish, kicks hairs at you if you happen to lay your eyes on him/her and also threw a threat pose to a meal worm today. Such a lovable little thing.

Kulo (B. boehmei) is skittish but lovable little bolting machine with a great feeding response.

Then there is the group of yet unnamed kids: I'm waiting for B. albiceps to moult soon-ish while N. chromatus and B. albopilosum are being glorious pet burrows.

Also dropped two orders today so waiting for B. klaasi, B. auratum, P. tigrinawesseli and P. vittata to arrive in two - three weeks! Yup, decided to get two pokie slings (DLS 3.5 - 4 cm) as well. Hopefully everything goes ok with them. :eek:

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I loved this update. It allowed me to compare notes with my own and I see some good news.

I also have a litle C. versicolor and it is frequently curled up down next to the water bowl. After reading how sensitive they can be, I've been a little worried. The most common advice today is that they live in tree tops and needs loads of ventilation, but also some humidity. Well my climate is exceedingly dry, so with most reptiles and inverts that need humidity, I have to greatly reduce ventilation so that I'm not ventilating super dry air into the enclosure and humid air out. I've been lightly spraying water droplets on the side of the enclosures daily, being careful to make sure the substrate is never too wet, and leaving a dead roach near her if she's up in the branches or a live little newborn B. lat if she's near the bottom. So your note about hanging around the water bowl gives me great comfort. I'm glad mine isn't the only one, and it tells me that this might just be normal for this species.

Likewise, I have two A. geniculata too, and even though they are still small, they've doubled in size since I've had them and their little abdomens are fat and plump. I see mine out more and more of the time too.

I have 3 N. chromatus slings and two have burrowed, while one remains topside.

Anyhow, thank you for including those details. All of these are new species to me, so every little tidbit of info is appreciated.

And congrats on the new ones. Your collection sounds excellent!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The Versicolor is a dry spider that needs a large elavated water dish. They don't and sometimes won't go to ground and risk dehydration. If that is suspected, take a dropper and start sprinkling it in the web.

Congrats on the pokies!!

Remember, the slower you move, the slower they move. Cover your mouth and nose to eliminate the chances of sneezing upon the Lil beasties !!

Last edited:

Nunua

3 Year Member
Thank you @MassExodus ! I think that B. klaasi is the most exiting for me :D I actually promised to not get new Ts just yet, but then I saw B. klaasi available and I just couldn't contain myself, haha!

@Enn49 - Oh yes, everyone is thriving and I'm happy. So exciting to see the colour development moult after moult!

@Whitelightning777 - Thanks! :D I'm mentally prepared to be calm with the pokies, but also know that they can be easy-going as well

@Tortoise Tom - Glad to know that my lil' update was something you could compare your experience with! No need to worry about your versi drinking from the dish. Like Whitelightning777 said, an elevated water dish is pretty much the must at least after the T grows and you actually have space and possibility to create a stand for the dish. But for now there is no need to worry if you have seen it to drink - it's enough to tell that it knows where it can find water, so now it's just important to keep the dish full with fresh water :) As you most likely know, the dry air usually requires frequent water dish monitoring as water evaporates relatively fast.

Latest posts