• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newly Interested

kdraw

I have recently become interested in Ts and I am considering getting one to keep in my office. My wife says absolutely no to having one in the house (I'll eventually change her mind. She said the same thing about reptiles and we now have four snakes and five lizards).

Ideally, I would like to purchase something that is nice to look at and relatively easy to care for. My office Temp remains between 75-78F and has no windows. Ideally, I would like to purchase the T and a complete setup as a package. Does anyone one have suggestions for species and/or sellers?

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Thanks,
Kevin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there, Kevin! Welcome to the tarantula hobby! :) My name is Casey and I would love to offer you your first tarantula (beginner species, of course) and I can also offer you the setup in a complete package with substrate, decor and a water dish. :) What species interest you? Are you looking to purchase a well started sling and watching it grow? Would you prefer a juvenile or adult? I have well started Grammastola pulchra (Brazilian Black). I also have a 4.5" G. pulchripes (Chaco Gold Knee), T. vagans (Mexican Red Rump) and T. albopilisus "Ometepe" (Island Form blue femur curly hair). I have a 3.5-4" B. hamorii (Mexican Red Knee). Would any of these interest you? :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!

Do your research and know your temps, year round, not just now.

kdraw

Hi, Casey! Thank you for your offer. I may take you up on it. Right now, I am looking for something that is not aggressive and is relatively easy to care for. Feeding should not be a problem as I have colonies of meal worms and discoid roaches for my lizards.

I absolutely like the idea of purchasing a complete setup with the T, since all of the ones I have looked at so far don't require heat. Also, since I live in Florida, the inside temperatures are pretty stable year round.

I like the brachypelma albopilosum and hamorii because, from what I've read so far, they check my requirement boxes. I prefer a well-started sling because I am really interested in watching it grow.

Because I have only been researching for a couple of weeks, I will defer to your experience and others in this forum if anyone has other suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks for reaching out to me, Casey.

Kevin

kdraw

OJ,
Living in central Florida, the indoor temperatures rarely change because we use air conditioning all year.

Thank you for the advice; I am going through the research phase now and just trying to narrow down what I want and where to get it.

Kevin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Any of the sp Casey suggested will work for you, as will a GBB (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens), Tliltocatl vagans or almost any new world terrestrial.

Regarding temps, the easy rule of thumb is, if you are comfortable in shorts and s t-shirt so will the T. Just avoid direct sunlight, drafts, breezes and constant vibration as they are sense hunters more than sight

Provide access to clean water at all times regardless of sp you choose and research housing and care. You'll do fine.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, Casey! Thank you for your offer. I may take you up on it. Right now, I am looking for something that is not aggressive and is relatively easy to care for. Feeding should not be a problem as I have colonies of meal worms and discoid roaches for my lizards.

I absolutely like the idea of purchasing a complete setup with the T, since all of the ones I have looked at so far don't require heat. Also, since I live in Florida, the inside temperatures are pretty stable year round.

I like the brachypelma albopilosum and hamorii because, from what I've read so far, they check my requirement boxes. I prefer a well-started sling because I am really interested in watching it grow.

Because I have only been researching for a couple of weeks, I will defer to your experience and others in this forum if anyone has other suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks for reaching out to me, Casey.

Kevin

The T. albopilosus slings I have are about 1/4" but if you cut your mealworms in half or crush the head before dropping it in there, they are voracious eaters and will eat pretty much anything. T. albopilosus grow fairly quickly- reaching leg spans of up to 3" or so in a year if kept in warm climate....which, your temps are perfect for! Also, these T. albopilosus will show blue femurs as they grow! There are none like this in the US anywhere! I am the only person selling them. Although they are a "curly hair", they are unique in that they have blue femurs. :) If interested, lmk.

kdraw

Casey, I am interested; are you able to send or post pictures? Also, what are you charging for a sling, the setup, and shipping to 33830?

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Casey, I am interested; are you able to send or post pictures? Also, what are you charging for a sling, the setup, and shipping to 33830?

Thanks again for your help.

Kevin

Sent you a private message :)

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Items included:

Fake foliage
Piece of cork bark/flat
Substrate

Also, the sling is in a small condiment cup suitable for its size. I wouldn't transfer it to the larger acrylic container until it's at least 3/4-1" in size to prevent escaping the drilled holes.

If you want a larger sling I can do a 1.25-1.5" G. pulchra perfect for the acrylic enclosure for $200 shipped LAG. G. pulchra is highly suspect female. :)

kdraw

Thank you for your reply. Give me a couple of days to do some more species research and I'll get back to you. I would definitely go with the sling over the larger...my wife won't notice $100 missing, but she might notice $200....

Latest posts