• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newly discovered spider in Sri Lanka

ChazJ

3 Year Member
I'm not sure how many of you use Yahoo, but there was an article/video about a newly discovered spider in Sri Lanka of the Pokie genus. They call it Poecilotheria rajaei (It was named after a police investigator who showed a local researched the location). It's a tiger spider & is said to be about 8 inches long! As soon as I got done watching the video & reading the article, I had to come on here & ask if anyone had seen the article or knew about it.

Here's a link to the article/video itself:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trendin...der-nightmare-inducing-variety-174207130.html

Uncle Charlie

3 Year Member
Video not available in my country..:(

Here's some additional information about this new species by the way

Thank you for the info (and having quicker fingers than me lol).

I actually have a very nice pdf file regarding this pokie but cant remember where I downloaded it from.

Its amazing how similiar it is ventrally to the P regalis except for the little dot on the leg markings, and the fact that its from sri lanka and not india. The P fasciata and P hanumavilasumica sits in the same dilemma, yet again just a very slight leg pattern difference.

I guess on very close inspection/exploring of the regions they might even discover more pokies, even maybe rediscover the P uniformis. Only time will tell.

Whats the view on this forum regarding P subfusca HL and LL? The same specie or not and why do you say so?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only time will tell UC. Specie determination is of particular interest to me. For instance in the States we have leopard frogs. However, though they are identical in appearance, specimens from the northern end of the range and those from the southern cannot interbreed because they have drifted so far apart genetically. There is even a pocket of them in the northeast that populate an old stadium site that have been genetically isolated for enough generations that they themselves cannot interbreed with others found outside of their stadium.

Plessey would be the one I would like to see weigh in on the HL vs LL matter....

Uncle Charlie

3 Year Member
@Kurt... who knows... but I do doubt it. I lack space and that is a huge problem currently. Maybe if I can dedicate a room in the future to my pokies (and other T's) and they are available then I will.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
Probably don't have to worry too much about space seeing as they won't probably be on the marked until a pretty long time from now, hehe :p

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Uncle Charlie

3 Year Member
Nanayakkara, R.P., P.J. Kirk, S.K. Dayananda, G.A.S.M. Ganehiarachchi, N. Vishvanath & T.G.T. Kusuminda. 2012. A new species of tiger spider, genus Poecilotheria, from northern Sri Lanka. Journal of the British Tarantula Society 28(1): 6-15.[/URL]
Sri Lankan regalis IMO.
HL & LL subfusca are the same morphologically. The only real difference is one is lighter coloured than the other. Some people are intent on believing otherwise but are unable to bring any valid differences to the table.

Thank you for the link.

Amen to what you are saying on the subfusca issue... people have almost started wars regarding this matter...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool article...too bad about the fear mongering headline though :mad:

Latest posts