• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

newish obt feeding question

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
ok so I got an obt a few weeks ago and it has sealed itself away in the cork round I have in there... I know this will happen if it is about to molt but I think it is just being reclusive so my question is should I open one end of the log and try and feed it or should I just leave it go until it opens its web up by itself and then try to feed it?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I'd drop the food in and see if it takes it or not, if its not gone in a couple hours just remove it, CAREFULLY ,
If it doesn't eat I would probably offer every 3 or 4 days.
They may not see well but they are aware of whats going on and if hungry should come get the meal.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd leave the food overnight before removing it. Don't worry if your OBT seals itself away for long periods, it will sneak out in the night to feed and drink. My girl can go unseen for months at a time but her food always disappears and every so often she will leave a pile of rubbish outside the hide for me to remove. That's just what OBTs do :)

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
ok so I should break through the web and drop a cricket in the log then? and @Enn49 do you think the obt breaks its web and comes out and then webs itself back into the log without me noticing? I just think it sealed itself away because the store I got it from had everything wrong with the way they were keeping it and now it is just..... well I don't know what its doing lol

Thistles

3 Year Member
DO NOT break the web! If the spider is indeed molting, the web is its only barrier against the outside world. If you open it and throw a cricket in while the spider happens to be molting, the cricket could injure the spider.

This might not be the case, but don't risk it =) The OBT will feel the vibrations from the cricket running around in its enclosure and if it happens to be a hungry OBT, the cricket will get munched. What the other ladies suggested is perfect - just drop in a cricket for a little while and if the spider hasn't eaten it in a bit then remove the cricket.

Many spiders seal themselves into their burrows every morning and then tear open the seal to come out every night. It's possible that your kid is coming out nightly, but it is also possible that it needs privacy right now for molting. Make the food available in its enclosure/home, but don't drop food into the spider's bed!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
ok so I should break through the web and drop a cricket in the log then? and @Enn49 do you think the obt breaks its web and comes out and then webs itself back into the log without me noticing? I just think it sealed itself away because the store I got it from had everything wrong with the way they were keeping it and now it is just..... well I don't know what its doing lol

No, don't break through the web, just drop the food in its container. I used to think mine had sealed herself in until I realised she had made a curtain that she could open and close whenever she wanted too, it looks as if it is webbed across but she can draw it back for access and it drops back into place behind her. Very clever these Ts :cool:

~8-legz~

3 Year Member
thanks guys! when I went to feed him/her it had already opened the one end of the log up so I didn't have to break the web anyways so I dropped him (I call it a him cuz its an obt and should have a bad ass attitude like a guy lol) his dinner and he munched it right away! and then today the log was webbed over again...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good! Always makes me feel better when I know they are fed ^*^

I agree with the ladies! and @Kymura look at u giving advice! when i joined u were scared stiff to take care of a spider and already have learned enough to be giving advice! Makes me proud! :D
Only on the simple things Entity :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks guys! when I went to feed him/her it had already opened the one end of the log up so I didn't have to break the web anyways so I dropped him (I call it a him cuz its an obt and should have a bad ass attitude like a guy lol) his dinner and he munched it right away! and then today the log was webbed over again...
Unfortunately, that's typical obt behavior. It's ironic and rather sad that some of the prettiest spiders in the hobby are obligate hiders. :(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ok so I got an obt a few weeks ago and it has sealed itself away in the cork round I have in there... I know this will happen if it is about to molt but I think it is just being reclusive so my question is should I open one end of the log and try and feed it or should I just leave it go until it opens its web up by itself and then try to feed it?
I think this is a very good question to have, it means you've researched enough to know it might be the wrong move, and its also one of those questions that just doesn't pop up much on forums. Breaking a web and putting a cricket in could end very badly if a spider is molting. Bravo, for thinking it through and asking for advice first.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately, that's typical obt behavior. It's ironic and rather sad that some of the prettiest spiders in the hobby are obligate hiders. :(
Self-preservation :) The brightest colors are the easiest seen.... and eaten. OBT being one of the only natural orange colored creatures in the wild is probably where they get their attitude :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:confused::confused:
Self-preservation :) The brightest colors are the easiest seen.... and eaten. OBT being one of the only natural orange colored creatures in the wild is probably where they get their attitude :)
OBT is definitely in my future, gorgeous T's. Well...when you get to see them :confused: