• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie with questions :)

dreamscape

3 Year Member
Hello all!

Newbie here, This week i am picking up a Chilean Rose T but before I do... I have a few questions...

First up, I'm planning to use an old fish tank we have here its 10 inches in depth and 19 inches wide. The top has a hole in and comes off easily which i will obviously fix to avoid my new friend escaping... Is this enclosure big enough? I read online that it needs to be twice the size in leg span in width for a rose... I just wanted to confirm this size will be ok though... Here are some images:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Its a tall tank and I'm aware of falling injury's so i plan to fill half of it with substrate (maybe even 3 quarters??) to avoid my T hurting itself should it fall...

This brings me to my next question: What substrate should i use with this type of T?

Here's a picture of him/her which i took at the store shes in at the moment...

4.jpg

If anyone can tell me how old this T might be or if its male or female that would be a big help. It's only £20 ($32) which i think is pretty damn cheap for a T? or is it?

Cheers for any help/advice so far!
emo-spider.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a tall tank so you'll have to fill all the way up, leaving only 5 inches (12cm). Age is pretty much impossible to determine, Especially from a likely wild caught specimen. For gender we would need a pic of the underside of the Tarantula or the inside of a molt.
The most common substrate is coconut coir. $32 is a little high for a female Rose. The can usually be obtained for under $20.

khatchet

3 Year Member
As long as the tank has the floor space of a 5 gal it works. I can say on age as it is full grown. I would have to see a molt to sex it. And price is not bad for pet store. If there is any thing else you would like to know just ask.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Congrats on your new friend! That's a very attractive tank! You will need quite a bit of sub to lower the height, though. You can do it, of course...I started my first T in a 10-gal. tank that was too tall and I had it half full of sub, which worked. Later I got a smaller cage and it worked a lot better. It might be worth it to get something smaller. This is what I have my Rosie in:

Attachments

• NC1.jpg
    NC1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 14
  • NC2.jpg
    NC2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 14

dreamscape

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Sabeth your rose is stunning :)

Alot of people have been telling me to get a pink toe as they like to climb and would suit the tank which i do agree with but i like how the rose is a hardy T. Apparently they can stand the colder climates well and stuff which is nice to know.

I must admit though those pink toes and their metalic look about them... very nice to look at indeed and at the end of the day I'm not getting one to hold I think they are interesting creatures and want to observe it.

Torn on what to do...

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful. Sabeth your rose is stunning :)

Alot of people have been telling me to get a pink toe as they like to climb and would suit the tank which i do agree with but i like how the rose is a hardy T. Apparently they can stand the colder climates well and stuff which is nice to know.

I must admit though those pink toes and their metalic look about them... very nice to look at indeed and at the end of the day I'm not getting one to hold I think they are interesting creatures and want to observe it.

Torn on what to do...
I have a Pink Toe and a Rose Hair and I am just in love with both of them. They are both great T's and easy to keep! And yes your correct, a Pink Toe would love that tank because of the height, Rosie's need more width than height. But its really up to you. I say get both T's!!!! ;);)

dreamscape

3 Year Member
Thanks BigTGirl (had to do a doubletake on your username...) lol! I actually saw a pink toe today and yeah they look awesome but i still think the rose is for me so I'm going to go forward with the rosehair.

Just a little update here, I went to the store and got some substrate I was going to go for coco but i looked at the Chilean Rose they had there and they had this stuff in theirs which looks really nice and showed the Red Chilean Rose up really, really nicely!

So... I got x2 5 litre packs and filled the tank half way! I've also got a stone which i thoroughly washed and fake plants which originally came from when this tank was used for fish. I've now put in after washing.

5.jpg

6.jpg

What do you guys think?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What exactly is the substrate? If it's sand, or walnut get rid of it. Most pet stores don't know jack. Also you need much more of it. That is no where near high enough.
Suitable subs are Coco coir,Peat Moss, Potting Soil)make sure it has no pescticides) and you can mix any of them with vermiculite.

khatchet

3 Year Member
Thought it was thats will do for bedding but like he said needs to be higher and do you have a water dish and hide in there

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
Cool tank, I went to buy one like that from gumtree (it also had hole in lid that needed to be fixed) , but it had already been sold, i was going to get a new pink toe to keep in it. Think you should get both a rosie & a pink toe, all of mine have been so pleasant, such a joy to own :)
I paid £8 for a rosie sling yrs ago and £18 for my last adult female rosie and have seen the prices go up even more since then so think £20 is a reasonable price

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
Hey thats why were here to share knowledge and answer each others questions :) but yes the substrate needs to be raised a lot haha and provide a shallow water dish

Aly Maynard

3 Year Member
one thing to consider about a chillian rose. they have uticulating hairs. these are like fiberglass. 4 some ppl they just itch and burn. but for others it causes respitory issues. just tellin u this cuz no one told me this whn I got my t. the hairs are a shiny patch. they make u itch for days. I handle my t with rubber non latex gloves so I don't accidently get some on me. they suck!

Latest posts