• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie says hello!

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
hi! and Happy Holidays - whatever you celebrate(is there a Tarantula Day?) this is Lynn in SCarolina and I am getting ready to add 2 Ts to my critters...I had a B smithi years ago(1980-84) and someone dropped her(in her travel container) when I was moving - it was a very sad day and I never returned to the hobby...she was an adult when i got her and my question today, although I have read the guidance on feeding spiderlings(which is where I'd like to start this time - OH! to see them grow up) - I don't see any comments on feeding them flightless fruitflies which I apparently(went to see) can get here at Petco(no panic please - I am not getting the spiders from Petco) ... any advice regarding their use?...I see I can also feed bits of other things(mealworms) so I am looking for experiences feeding 1/4-1/2" babies since I will be very new to keeping them at this stage. Thanks in advance to any who answer this thread!

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
hi! and Happy Holidays - whatever you celebrate(is there a Tarantula Day?) this is Lynn in SCarolina and I am getting ready to add 2 Ts to my critters...I had a B smithi years ago(1980-84) and someone dropped her(in her travel container) when I was moving - it was a very sad day and I never returned to the hobby...she was an adult when i got her and my question today, although I have read the guidance on feeding spiderlings(which is where I'd like to start this time - OH! to see them grow up) - I don't see any comments on feeding them flightless fruitflies which I apparently(went to see) can get here at Petco(no panic please - I am not getting the spiders from Petco) ... any advice regarding their use?...I see I can also feed bits of other things(mealworms) so I am looking for experiences feeding 1/4-1/2" babies since I will be very new to keeping them at this stage. Thanks in advance to any who answer this thread!

Welcome! I've kept spiderlings in the past and the fruit flies always seemed too small to me. I've used parts of crickets that I was feeding to other things like my leopard geckos, I prefer to use a leg or two so that the gecko can still get most of a cricket. Just be sure to take uneaten parts out because they will get moldy. I have also used baby dubia roaches depending on how small the spiderling is.

Pearl Dusenbery

3 Year Member
Welcome back to the addiction. I too had 2 T's then was out of the hobby for many years and am just getting back into it. Oh how I missed having my fuzzy little moody psycho friends (jk on the psycho part).

I feed my teeny tiny sling pinhead crickets and she does great with them. She won't eat any that r already dead though. None of my animals r normal so I automatically expect it from any new critter I get. Lol

Can't wait to c pics of ur new babies!

Latest posts