• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie from LA

Miss310

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I've always been terrified of spiders. However, I've recently been fascinated with watching tarantula feeding videos on Youtube. So I've decided to get my first tarantula and overcome my fears. There's not that big of a selection of slings here in LA so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Also, what do you guys suggest are some good beginner slings?

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi , welcome to the hobby and this forum.
Have a look on here at the classifieds and if you want to check there is a review section too so you know that you're dealing with safe sellers.
Have you any preferences as to starting with a sling or a juvenile? Any of the Brachypelmas or a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens make good starters.

Miss310

3 Year Member
Thanks! I'm absolutely excited about getting my first sling and seeing the changes while it molts. I was thinking about getting a Brachypelma Albopilosum or a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! I'm absolutely excited about getting my first sling and seeing the changes while it molts. I was thinking about getting a Brachypelma Albopilosum or a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens.

Brachypelma albopilosums are adorable as slings, constantly digging. I've never kept a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens yet but I must get one soon.

Stacey Ryan

3 Year Member
I would definitely recommend the gbb. I have a b.albo sling as well as a GBB sling. I don't see my curly sue much. But the gbb is always out. I love them so much that I got a juvi at the western show.
447a66e2e5e5a79b64030b7f9da62601.jpg
de679d74a38ca999cca3a094400e2562.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Brucej

3 Year Member
Hey everyone! I've always been terrified of spiders. However, I've recently been fascinated with watching tarantula feeding videos on Youtube. So I've decided to get my first tarantula and overcome my fears. There's not that big of a selection of slings here in LA so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction. Also, what do you guys suggest are some good beginner slings?
Hi. For a biginner you prob don't want to get too small of a sling. You will want a more mature spicamen as slings are harder to care for as far as food and temp/humidity is involved.
My experience has been that so called beginner tarantulas will vary in attitude.
A g rosea. Common first for people can be a demon.
I had a smithi that was happy one day and angry the next. Would bite me if I hadn't already had previously experience with others.
My Brazilian black was very nice but thought everything that came close was food. So had to be cautious with that one as well. Let it know it was me and not a food source. Once I did that it was fine.
Currently have a Chilean flame dwarf sling that I've been raising for a while now it has finally reached an inch. Weirdly from other threads I've read this one disobeys the rules of this species in a way. It eats like crazy and has never been shy of live food. Attacks like a tiger on anything. It does however follow the curious and "happy" nature of the species.
So what I'm saying is any beginner species are good just be aware and learn what the attitude is at the time as they change. If they kick hair they are mad, if the turn around when proding them lightly with a brush it may bite.
Not trying to turn you off of them just takes time to learn.
They are very interesting creatures and as you mentioned very facination.
I personally don't recommend a g.rosea as a first but like I said all the beginner ones I've ever owned seem to not quite follow the rules!! Lol
Good luck and hope you enjoy the hobby as much as I do.

Miss310

3 Year Member
Hi. For a biginner you prob don't want to get too small of a sling. You will want a more mature spicamen as slings are harder to care for as far as food and temp/humidity is involved.
My experience has been that so called beginner tarantulas will vary in attitude.
I had a smithi that was happy one day and angry the next. Would bite me if I hadn't already had previously experience with others.
My Brazilian black was very nice but thought everything that came close was food. So had to be cautious with that one as well. Let it know it was me and not a food source. Once I did that it was fine.
Currently have a Chilean flame dwarf sling that I've been raising for a while now it has finally reached an inch. Weirdly from other threads I've read this one disobeys the rules of this species in a way. It eats like crazy and has never been shy of live food. Attacks like a tiger on anything. It does however follow the curious and "happy" nature of the species.
So what I'm saying is any beginner species are good just be aware and learn what the attitude is at the time as they change. If they kick hair they are mad, if the turn around when proding them lightly with a brush it may bite.
I personally don't recommend a g.rosea as a first but like I said all the beginner ones I've ever owned seem to not quite follow the rules!! Lol

Thanks for the advice :D

Brucej

3 Year Member
Also wanted to mention that even though slings are small they do have the same level of deffensiveness per species as a large one. Just because they are small doesn't mean they will run! They will bite if provoked enough the exact same as a larger one.
I have found slings are also quicker.
My recommendation is a grammastola pulchra(Brazilian black) you can find a 1-2" sling for good price. They are hardy, eat well, and have a fairly good nature. Be aware they do get quite big when older.
Also a dwarf species red or yellow are very good beginners as well.
I mention bites because I know every beginner is worried about bites!! Lol.
Once you get a little bit of experience they are quite easy to tell the attitude and how to manuver/handle/clean enclosure etc.
Have fun!
Ask me or any other person on here for advice in the future.
Good luck!

Checkmate

Formerly 'voldemort'
3 Year Member
Welcome! I've purchased T's off Craigslist, reptile expos, online breeders, and fellow hobbyists through classifieds (on here or AB). Next reptile expo near us is Repticon in Costa Mesa on Nov. 11-12 and Reptile Super Show in Pomona on Jan. 6-7, 2018. There aren't too many tarantula booths (maybe 5 or so) and it gets really crowded but you can get some nice deals. A few reptile shops will carry T's (there's one in Stanton, one in Harbor City, and one in Fountain Valley off the top of my head). Good luck!

Miss310

3 Year Member
Welcome! I've purchased T's off Craigslist, reptile expos, online breeders, and fellow hobbyists through classifieds (on here or AB). Next reptile expo near us is Repticon in Costa Mesa on Nov. 11-12 and Reptile Super Show in Pomona on Jan. 6-7, 2018. There aren't too many tarantula booths (maybe 5 or so) and it gets really crowded but you can get some nice deals. A few reptile shops will carry T's (there's one in Stanton, one in Harbor City, and one in Fountain Valley off the top of my head). Good luck!

Thanks for the info :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard Miss310. Great questions. Good luck with your new addition whatever it may be? :)

PinkT

3 Year Member
http://sacreptileshow.com/

Sacramento Show just around the corner

http://repticon.com/california/los-angeles-costa-mesa/

Closer to you. If you buy from a show, see if they sell feeders too. Makes it easier.

Welcome! I'm a newbie too. Just got my own 2 from a show in my area besides taking care of my daughter's Pink T, Avciularia Avicularia. Avicularia Versicolor sling, and a Grammostola Iheringi female.

Addiicting and fascinating.

Latest posts