• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone! I am very new to the hobby and just got my first T two days ago. I was looking through some ads just to see what was available in my area (as I hadn't decided on what kind of T to get), and browsing for tanks etc and I ended up coming across an ad posted by someone giving away their A. avic. (was listed as female, but I'm not too sure if this is the case). It was love at first sight! She's approx. 3" DLS, and just so fuzzy and cute! Poor thing was in a very, very dry, extremely dirty 10 gallon tank with a very loose fitting screen lid and no water at all (only some dried out bug gel; wtf?). Was also told me she hadn't eaten in quite awhile (he hadn't gotten around to buying her any food), and had not moulted at all in the four months they'd had her.

I wish that I had have had an enclosure ready and waiting for her (that was my original plan), but given her situation I couldn't do a worse job taking care of her if I put effort into it! So, unfortunately I am still keeping her in the 10 gallon until Tuesday (found an Exo-Terra nano tall for a good price) when I can put her in to a more suitable enclosure. I did get her some new substrate and made sure it was moist (not swampy). She was very cooperative with me when I moved her to a small critter keeper (so I could clean out her tank), which was a relief because I was so nervous about moving her, being that it was my first time and all. But she played nice and I have much more confidence now. She immediately went to the water I had put in with her, and stayed there a very long time (who knows how long it's been since she's had a real drink). I also taped up a lot of the screening on the tank cover (making sure there was no sticky parts where she could get stuck), and am keeping it weighted down with some heavy books for now; I was actually surprised she's never gotten out). She has totally ignored the crickets I put in for her to nom on, but I'm trying not to get too worried about this as I'm sure she's very stressed out.

Me and my son love her so much already! He was initially very afraid of spiders until I started researching T's, and then he started asking me tons of questions (most of which I had to look up answers to, myself lol), and he has spent a good amount of time going to 'check on her' and just sitting and watching her)...it's so nice to see his fascination
smile.gif
He's also asked me if we can get "one of the pretty orange and black ones next?" (B. smithi). So since that was one of the T's on my original list, it looks as though we'll be adding our 2nd T sooner than I thought.

Here's a pic of our new baby:

Attachments

• New T (rezize).jpg
    New T (rezize).jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 8

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone! I am very new to the hobby and just got my first T two days ago. I was looking through some ads just to see what was available in my area (as I hadn't decided on what kind of T to get), and browsing for tanks etc and I ended up coming across an ad posted by someone giving away their A. avic. (was listed as female, but I'm not too sure if this is the case). It was love at first sight! She's approx. 3" DLS, and just so fuzzy and cute! Poor thing was in a very, very dry, extremely dirty 10 gallon tank with a very loose fitting screen lid and no water at all (only some dried out bug gel; wtf?). Was also told me she hadn't eaten in quite awhile (he hadn't gotten around to buying her any food), and had not moulted at all in the four months they'd had her.

I wish that I had have had an enclosure ready and waiting for her (that was my original plan), but given her situation I couldn't do a worse job taking care of her if I put effort into it! So, unfortunately I am still keeping her in the 10 gallon until Tuesday (found an Exo-Terra nano tall for a good price) when I can put her in to a more suitable enclosure. I did get her some new substrate and made sure it was moist (not swampy). She was very cooperative with me when I moved her to a small critter keeper (so I could clean out her tank), which was a relief because I was so nervous about moving her, being that it was my first time and all. But she played nice and I have much more confidence now. She immediately went to the water I had put in with her, and stayed there a very long time (who knows how long it's been since she's had a real drink). I also taped up a lot of the screening on the tank cover (making sure there was no sticky parts where she could get stuck), and am keeping it weighted down with some heavy books for now; I was actually surprised she's never gotten out). She has totally ignored the crickets I put in for her to nom on, but I'm trying not to get too worried about this as I'm sure she's very stressed out.

Me and my son love her so much already! He was initially very afraid of spiders until I started researching T's, and then he started asking me tons of questions (most of which I had to look up answers to, myself lol), and he has spent a good amount of time going to 'check on her' and just sitting and watching her)...it's so nice to see his fascination
smile.gif
He's also asked me if we can get "one of the pretty orange and black ones next?" (B. smithi). So since that was one of the T's on my original list, it looks as though we'll be adding our 2nd T sooner than I thought.

Here's a pic of our new baby:
congratulations and especially well done for rescuiing the poor thing. I'm a massive a avic fan and b smithi! best of luck with your new pet!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard!
Your Avic, actually looks pretty good. Don't worry about it not eating, they do that occasionally. She may be in pre-moult. 4 months without a moult is not a long time.
If you have any further question, feel free to ask.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
congratulations and especially well done for rescuiing the poor thing. I'm a massive a avic fan and b smithi! best of luck with your new pet!

Thanks! I'm so happy that we found her, A. avic wasn't on my original list of T's I wanted (was leaning toward A. purpurea or B. smithi), but now I'm definitely a fan of this species :) I'm sure the 2nd T won't be far off hehe

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard!
Your Avic, actually looks pretty good. Don't worry about it not eating, they do that occasionally. She may be in pre-moult. 4 months without a moult is not a long time.
If you have any further question, feel free to ask.

I'm glad to have someone say she looks good! I wasn't sure how often a moult would occur (and the guy I got her from didn't really seem to know much besides she was a spider), so glad that 4 months is perfectly normal. I'll be re-housing tomorrow, so not really expecting her to eat for a bit until she gets settled (of course, she may just surprise us).

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks! I'm so happy that we found her, A. avic wasn't on my original list of T's I wanted (was leaning toward A. purpurea or B. smithi), but now I'm definitely a fan of this species :) I'm sure the 2nd T won't be far off hehe
I bet she is pleased to be in a warm clean home. I wanted an avic for years and love them so much I named them all after kings ( Solomon midas herod and cupid.) hope your one is settling in ok and best of luck with her.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I bet she is pleased to be in a warm clean home. I wanted an avic for years and love them so much I named them all after kings ( Solomon midas herod and cupid.) hope your one is settling in ok and best of luck with her.
She'll be even happier tomorrow in her new, more appropriately sized digs :) Those are awesome names! My son has named ours Karina...not sure where he got the name from, but I like it!

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am waiting (im)patiently to watch Karina munch a cricket for the first time lol. I keep inventing reasons why I should go and 'check' on her...just so I can see her fuzzy cuteness lol

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heh, I know the feeling...my hubby thinks I am crazy already, but especially after I squealed with delight and announced "It's grooming it's little feets!" after it finished the cricket. :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She'll be even happier tomorrow in her new, more appropriately sized digs :) Those are awesome names! My son has named ours Karina...not sure where he got the name from, but I like it!
that's a lovely name. there are pictures of Solomon and herod in the pictures of tarantula enclosures thread (you can't see Solomon properly tho) there is also a picture of cupid on the slings and young t's thread. hope you get your next one soon

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heh, I know the feeling...my hubby thinks I am crazy already, but especially after I squealed with delight and announced "It's grooming it's little feets!" after it finished the cricket. :)
I love the after dinner wash they take it so seriously :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that's a lovely name. there are pictures of Solomon and herod in the pictures of tarantula enclosures thread (you can't see Solomon properly tho) there is also a picture of cupid on the slings and young t's thread. hope you get your next one soon
All of your T's are adorable! :)