• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the forums and the hobby.

Volkswachter

Greetings! My name is Michael but I go by Volkswachter on the internet; I currently have three M. balfouri (Two males, one female, all around 1.5-2.5 inches), five Lasiodori parahybana slings, and two Tliltocatl albopilosums slings.

I have an excessive and obsessive personality type; in addition to Tarantulas (and animals in general) I like 80s B-Reel movies, Jim Wynorski, Andy Sidaris, and Fred Olen Ray are my favourite directors, High-Fantasy novels and movies, and I play violin, guitar and the hurdy-gurdy.

I'm looking forward to talking to and learning from others in the hobby.

(I know that OWs are not recommended for newbies, but I also ride my bike without a helmet and eat cereal without milk.)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Greetings! My name is Michael but I go by Volkswachter on the internet; I currently have three M. balfouri (Two males, one female, all around 1.5-2.5 inches), five Lasiodori parahybana slings, and two Tliltocatl albopilosums slings.

I have an excessive and obsessive personality type; in addition to Tarantulas (and animals in general) I like 80s B-Reel movies, Jim Wynorski, Andy Sidaris, and Fred Olen Ray are my favourite directors, High-Fantasy novels and movies, and I play violin, guitar and the hurdy-gurdy.

(I know that OWs are not recommended for newbies, but I also ride my bike without a helmet and eat cereal without milk.)
Love that intro! cereal without milk. You are hardcore my friend! ha ha
Welcome to the family :)

Seekeroftruth

Hi there and welcome!

I am also new to the hobby.

Have no shame for the old worlds! You might as well be getting something you actully want, rather than not. You've probably done your research and know the risks. Confidence and research... Its amazing what people can learn quickly sometimes. I'm personally not that into OWs, so I've stuck to NWs, although my significant other really likes baboon species! I would say M balfouri is one of the few OW I would like to have one day.

What fantasy novels and movies? I like that stuff too. :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
M balfouri & H pulchripes are very beautiful species. I've had one of each. Neither is a mean spider, just super fast.

M balfouri is perhaps the only species that benefits from being kept communally. In no other case should any other species be kept that way.

The slings are a little pricey, but these two are fairly hardy and have a half way decent growth rate.

H pulchripes has the same coloration for both males and females until the males mature.

M balfouri are sexually dimorphic but both are gorgeous.

Volkswachter

Hi there and welcome!

I am also new to the hobby.

Have no shame for the old worlds! You might as well be getting something you actully want, rather than not. You've probably done your research and know the risks. Confidence and research... Its amazing what people can learn quickly sometimes. I'm personally not that into OWs, so I've stuck to NWs, although my significant other really likes baboon species! I would say M balfouri is one of the few OW I would like to have one day.

What fantasy novels and movies? I like that stuff too. :D
That's fair; I do have two new-world species too; 5 LPs and 2 Tliltocatl albopilosums; I do have a preference for old worlds but there are a bunch of new worlders on my wishlist.

Huge fan of Dragonlance's extended universe; and one of the best fantasy flicks my wife and I have seen in a long while is Lucio Fulci's 1983 "Conquest"; but one of our all-time favourites is Slave Girls from Beyond Infinity by Ken Dixon, it's a sleazy B-Reel retelling of The Most Dangerous Game; but set in space, with Elizabeth Kaitan and Brinkie Stevens (You might remember her from the shower scene in Slumber Party Massacre), and if you ever have the time to check it out.. 1981's Inseminoid is probably the best "The Room" tier sci-fantasy; almost 100% voiced over, and about 5 weird, out of place jump cuts per minute LOL!!

How about you buddy?

Seekeroftruth

I'm surprised I've never heard of those. I have a new list to read and watch! :)

TV series

Supernatural two brothers who kill monsters

Grimm a man who can see the monsters within people which are called vesen

Legend of the Seeker- mideaval setting, man who can see the truth and fights evil with his companions

Sliders- friends who 'slide' from one dimension to another to try to get back home

Movies-

The ninth gate- researcher on a mission to learn the secrets of a set of mysterious books

Inception- man who enters people's dreams to learn their secrets

The Mandella effect- man begins to question reality and obsess over facts that no one else remembers

Books-

The sword of Truth series- the basis for the 'Seeker of truth' television series

The law of nines- related to Sword of truth books. about a girl who goes to another dimension, unlike her home, this new world does not have magic. Meant to be read after rest of series

Debt of bones- related to Sword of truth, a young wizard's story which happens prior to the series

Andrzej Sapkowski books- books about a 'witcher', a man made a mutant, so that he would have the power to kill monsters. Books are the basis for the Witcher video games.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Balfouri aren't a bad OW to start with. Good taste :) Welcome to the hobby!

M balfouri & H pulchripes are very beautiful species. I've had one of each. Neither is a mean spider, just super fast.

M balfouri is perhaps the only species that benefits from being kept communally. In no other case should any other species be kept that way.

The slings are a little pricey, but these two are fairly hardy and have a half way decent growth rate.

H pulchripes has the same coloration for both males and females until the males mature.

M balfouri are sexually dimorphic but both are gorgeous.
This isn't all true, sorry to say. M. balfouri don't benefit from being kept communally, except for mothers with new slings. They tolerate it. Other species also tolerate it. I have a thriving Heterothele gabonensis communal that's several years old, and I can think of a couple other species that similarly tolerate one another.

M. balfouri and H. pulchripes are both sexually dimorphic after the males mature, but not until then.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wasn't discussing mature males. My M balfouri female showed the clear blue and white color scheme while still a sling.

Yes when my male H pulchripes matured, he changed, but for 90% of his life, he had the same exact coloration as the female.

The mature males are a special case.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I wasn't discussing mature males. My M balfouri female showed the clear blue and white color scheme while still a sling.

Yes when my male H pulchripes matured, he changed, but for 90% of his life, he had the same exact coloration as the female.

The mature males are a special case.
The M. balfouri change occurs at maturity, too. Males get darker blue. I've been breeding them since 2012, lol. Not a huge deal, but the color changes work the same way for both species.