• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Tarantulas

mushuporker

I'm Jess, 25 years old. I've been fascinated by tarantulas for a long time and I've finally decided to go for it and get a couple of slings. I prefer raising my animals from a young age. I'm thinking about Brachypelma smithi, Nandu chromatus, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(my favorite). I'm going through fear not tarantulas and I need to get an enclosure for 1/2" sling. I'm not sure where to look. If anyone has any tips or recommendations for starter Ts, please let me know.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello Jess and welcome to the forum!
You can use the search function of the forum to look up threads (they are many) for tips and recommendations for starter. If you are getting your first slings from Fear Not, look at their complete package which usually includes the slings, a size appropriate enclosure as well as food to last you a little while.
Enjoy this new highly addictive hobby Jess ;)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!

Jamie's Tarantulas sells enclosures, slings and sling kits. She sometimes had GBB slings kits. Ask Tanya if she has a 2x2x3 amac or similar. It's a touch big for a 1/2" sling but it will work.

Here is how I keep my little guys from 2i (1/7") to about 3/4"
1627093944180333510495848499828.jpg
16270939797999026342014060672641.jpg
16270940086778530498388625343537.jpg

You can be pretty creative. Smaller enclosures are better than larger, always.
House tarantulas like you choose Tupperware, choose one to two sizes smaller than you think you need.

TokeHound

Hello. I noticed you mentioned Fear Not Tarantulas. Not sure if you live in VA but if you do, Pet Paradise sells enclosures for cheaper. But I still love and support Fear Not Tarantulas.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello. I noticed you mentioned Fear Not Tarantulas. Not sure if you live in VA but if you do, Pet Paradise sells enclosures for cheaper. But I still love and support Fear Not Tarantulas.
I bought my first few from Jamie's and been a DIY guy since. I get boxes and cups and jars from Container Store, Smart and Final, Amazon; wherever.

Get you a glue gun, soldering iron, drill and good bits and you can make anything plastic work as an enclosure. Start amassing a cork bark collection of rounds and flats. Buy moss and plastic plants, or silk ones. Make cool stuff. It's fun! Time consuming, too.

I only mentioned Fear Not became you said you would be purchasing from them. I've no experience with them personally but their reputation is good and people I trust have said good things about them.

mushuporker

I ended up getting them both from Fear Not. And I love them. I got a complete with the GBB and it's a 1"-1 1/2" so its way bigger that the 1/3" smithi. I set the smithi up in the GBB shipping vial and it seems like it's the perfect size. The GBB is already webbing up the enclosure. My only issue right now is that the cages a fogging up really bad and I'm not sure if I should just poke holes. I can't exactly leave the lids off to air out the cages lol.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fogging up means too moist and /or not enough ventilation

Can you post pictures?

Last edited:

prince charmless

I'm Jess, 25 years old. I've been fascinated by tarantulas for a long time and I've finally decided to go for it and get a couple of slings. I prefer raising my animals from a young age. I'm thinking about Brachypelma smithi, Nandu chromatus, Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(my favorite). I'm going through fear not tarantulas and I need to get an enclosure for 1/2" sling. I'm not sure where to look. If anyone has any tips or recommendations for starter Ts, please let me know.
Brachypelmas and Nhandus can be hair kickers. Reseach urticating hairs and take common sense measures to avoid being "haired". If you have ever had poison ivy, That can give you an idea of the effects. Especially avoid inhaling them, or getting them in your eyes. That said, those species are popular for a reason. I have two adult N. Chromatus. Colorful, great feeding response and fiesty. The male is quick to give a threat pose or kick hairs. Working in his enclosure has caused me a number of days of itching, especially between my fingers. Washing your hands won't help, you just have to wait until it wears off, which can take several days to a week or so. Now whenever working in the enclosure of ... certain species, I always wear nitrile gloves. Problem solved. Urticating hairs are the primary reason I am mainly focused on old worlds and psalmopoeus species. Welcome to an addicting hobby. My suggestion? Buy shelves

Latest posts