• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to tarantulas and need advice!!!!!!

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Ok so Ive done alot of research before purchasing my first tarantula, but I have found some conflicting info on the web and wanted to be sure I am providing my pet with a good habitat!She is a Chilean rose hair! Here is what I have her setup in! A medium sized round low profile critter keeper. For substrate Iam using coconut fiber( i couldnt get it to expand for some reason...I did follow the directions) So it isnt moist. Is that a problem? I have a peice of cork bark in there with a small bottle cap full of water! My question is do i need to provide heat? If so what do I use? Also do I need to be misting? (some sites said this is isnt required) If so how often? I fed her 4 crickets when I got her home and she ate all of them! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are a dry species. No humidity/misting outside of a waterbowl is needed.
Unless your house is below 60* you don't need any additional heat.
scale back on the feeding. One cricke at a time once a week is plenty.

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Ok great! I really like her! I have always been a bit freaked out by them but they are actually very cool! I wanted the mexican fire leg at the pet store but it was expensive so i went with the rose hair! Thx for ur help!

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Well if i get another I was thinking of going to a repticon show! I hear they have some good deals! Pet store wanted $80 for it but it was of decent size!

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Iam not sure if it was sexed! I believe mine to be a female chilean... I paid $26 for it! Also how would I keep the humidity at 70-80% without misting (thats what it said on several sites I looked at)?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Iam not sure if it was sexed! I believe mine to be a female chilean... I paid $26 for it! Also how would I keep the humidity at 70-80% without misting (thats what it said on several sites I looked at)?
70 is waaaaay to high. They're a desert species. They like it dry.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately, South America as a whole has a stigma of being tropical, so a lot of Tarantula Care Sheets for South American Tarantulas are for tropical Tarantulas..

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Ok good so what iam doing is right! Also can u have a light on their enclosure as long as they have somewhere to hide? I bought the little thing that fits into the door on the top of the critter keeper but I havent used it yet!

Latest posts