• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

new to me a. avic

jsdspif

I got my first one saturday at noon. I'd say maybe it's 30 % full grown? I got it at a large exotic animal show they have at my town every month. The people selling go to different areas every week. It was in a deli cup with some dirt and moss,so I got it home and I just opened the container and set the container in my zilla enclosure and tipped the container on it's side so the spider could just walk out. So checking on it sunday afternoon it hadn't moved from the container so I touched it with the small plastic piece that came with the enclosure and it took a few steps. That was sunday at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Now the next morning it's just sitting in that same spot,I did touch it again and it moved a couple steps. I only touch it (just barely) because I wonder if it's dead. I'm wondering if I should get some mealworms and drop a mealworm in there? I've got 2 cork tubes against the back of the enclosure and they are hotglued in in a v formation,the meet each other at the floor of the enclosure and I cut notches in them at the floor level so spider could enter or exit them there and then the v puts the top of them against opposite sides of the enclosure. Hanging over each of them is a fake green plant. I didn't want to take a picture because I thought the flash may irritate it. I have a plastic lid to a mason jar in there with water and the room is about 75 degrees. I'm just wondering if this sounds normal? I couldn't really talk to the guy selling them because it was so loud in the place because there were alot of people so you almost had to shout to speak to someone. He had alot of different spiders,like maybe a 1000? all different types and sizes. This club or whatever also "weeds" out any bad sellers that aren't properly caring for the animals so I assume the seller is trustworthy. Thanks for your help.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Hi, and welcome. I only keep terresterial, but from what I know you shouls keep it as a aboreal, and provide it wit a cork bark tube standing up as a hide. The size of the encolsure depends on the size of the T.

Post some pics, don't worry about the flash. It won't hurt your T.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got my first one saturday at noon. I'd say maybe it's 30 % full grown? I got it at a large exotic animal show they have at my town every month. The people selling go to different areas every week. It was in a deli cup with some dirt and moss,so I got it home and I just opened the container and set the container in my zilla enclosure and tipped the container on it's side so the spider could just walk out. So checking on it sunday afternoon it hadn't moved from the container so I touched it with the small plastic piece that came with the enclosure and it took a few steps. That was sunday at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon. Now the next morning it's just sitting in that same spot,I did touch it again and it moved a couple steps. I only touch it (just barely) because I wonder if it's dead. I'm wondering if I should get some mealworms and drop a mealworm in there? I've got 2 cork tubes against the back of the enclosure and they are hotglued in in a v formation,the meet each other at the floor of the enclosure and I cut notches in them at the floor level so spider could enter or exit them there and then the v puts the top of them against opposite sides of the enclosure. Hanging over each of them is a fake green plant. I didn't want to take a picture because I thought the flash may irritate it. I have a plastic lid to a mason jar in there with water and the room is about 75 degrees. I'm just wondering if this sounds normal? I couldn't really talk to the guy selling them because it was so loud in the place because there were alot of people so you almost had to shout to speak to someone. He had alot of different spiders,like maybe a 1000? all different types and sizes. This club or whatever also "weeds" out any bad sellers that aren't properly caring for the animals so I assume the seller is trustworthy. Thanks for your help.
Pictures of your spider and enclosure will help diagnose any problems or if everything is just fine. Ive taken millions of photos of tarantulas...they don't care.

jsdspif

i just dropped a couple wax worms in there.It was sitting near that small dish and I touched it and it took a few steps to where it is in the picture. I realize the enclosure is probably too big. I had hoped to get a bigger spider but the guy had 5 or 6 of these and they were all this size. the enclosure is 12x12x18

Attachments

• IMG_5942.JPG
    IMG_5942.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5944.JPG
    IMG_5944.JPG
    989.8 KB · Views: 27

jsdspif

I thought in a different post you had stated they don't need substrate,and you posted a picture and said the moss is only in there for the crickets? That's why I didn't put that cocoa fiber stuff in there that came with the terrarium. What enclosure would you suggest? Would it help any to just poke some holes in the lid of that deli cup and keep it in the deli cup inside the enclosure I have now? I hate bothering the thing. It pretty much hasn't moved in 3 days now. I personally think it's dying,but I know nothing about tarantulas.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I thought in a different post you had stated they don't need substrate,and you posted a picture and said the moss is only in there for the crickets? That's why I didn't put that cocoa fiber stuff in there that came with the terrarium. What enclosure would you suggest? Would it help any to just poke some holes in the lid of that deli cup and keep it in the deli cup inside the enclosure I have now? I hate bothering the thing. It pretty much hasn't moved in 3 days now. I personally think it's dying,but I know nothing about tarantulas.
True but your enclosure is too tall for that spider. You need something around 8" tall. A fall from 18" will kill that spider, and they do occasionally fall during molting. If I remember right I was using a 4"×4"×7" Amac box at the time of the post.
You also have to take in your husbandry level vs. Mine. I've been raising tarantulas for 40 years. The substrate suggestion is merely a quick safety net for your current situation. (Spider in the lower picture is probably the same size as yours)
20210417_121754.jpg

jsdspif

OK I never thought of that. On the enclosure in your photo how do you open it to put food in there? Have you got a suggestion for a proper enclosure? Right now I really don't want to bother the spider. I was just thinking of the seller loading all the spiders in a van,then going out in freezing cold and drive maybe 2 hours or whatever,then getting to the showplace and unloading,then 2000 people walking around and half of them are little screaming kids etc,etc.Seems very stressful for the spider,i was stressed out from just being at the expo.Anyway if this starts showing some sort of activity I'd be into getting what you consider to be a proper enclosure. I bought this one just because of many search results/reviews stated this would be an excellent enclosure,but I am aware search results do contain alot of misinformation. I do appreciate your help.

jsdspif

i just re-watched your setup video that you posted to me when I posted in enclosures. I think I am on the "right track" just enclosure is too big and I need substrate. what size is the one in that setup video? I think it's an exoterra? What about the screened lid? Mine had a screened lid but I took out the screen and installed stainless perforated sheet metal because I read so much stuff about them getting stuck in the screen and/or chewing thru it?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OK I never thought of that. On the enclosure in your photo how do you open it to put food in there? Have you got a suggestion for a proper enclosure? Right now I really don't want to bother the spider. I was just thinking of the seller loading all the spiders in a van,then going out in freezing cold and drive maybe 2 hours or whatever,then getting to the showplace and unloading,then 2000 people walking around and half of them are little screaming kids etc,etc.Seems very stressful for the spider,i was stressed out from just being at the expo.Anyway if this starts showing some sort of activity I'd be into getting what you consider to be a proper enclosure. I bought this one just because of many search results/reviews stated this would be an excellent enclosure,but I am aware search results do contain alot of misinformation. I do appreciate your help.
Currently your spider is uncomfortable, thats why it's all balled up not doing anything. The sooner you move it into something smaller the better. A 32 or 44 oz deli cup will work for now. The Amac box's you can order on line or buy them already vented with holes from Jamie's tarantulas. You just pull the bottom off...the spider will web up the top.
20200421_205459_1.gif

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That was a 8"×8"
i just re-watched your setup video that you posted to me when I posted in enclosures. I think I am on the "right track" just enclosure is too big and I need substrate. what size is the one in that setup video? I think it's an exoterra? What about the screened lid? Mine had a screened lid but I took out the screen and installed stainless perforated sheet metal because I read so much stuff about them getting stuck in the screen and/or chewing thru it?
That was a 8"×8"×12" exoterra. Arboreals don't get stuck on the screens. They usually don't chew threw them either unless you have monster Poecilotheria ornatas or rufilatas. Ive never had a Avicularia chew or get stuck ever.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These one gallon jugs from Walmart are around $3.00 and make good enclosures for Avicularia. I burn ventilation holes in them with a soldering iron.
20211114_173533.jpg

jsdspif

Thanks. I've ordered the exoterra 8 x 8 x 12,some more coconut fiber stuff,i hav 2 small "pucks" that came with the zilla but I thought that may not be enough,some vermiculite and a large cork flat. I'll use one or 2 of the fake green hanging plants I already have. My idea is get everything set up and then transfer the spider. I'll just use the same mason jar lid for water. Hopefully will get the stuff in a few days. Thanks again,the help is very much appreciated

jsdspif

unfortunately it died. I think it died before I made my last post. I was just leaving it alone but after a few days it hadn't moved and it was dead. I got an 8x8x12 enclosure and put in substrate,a piec of flat cork standing up un the corner and a fake green plant up high and a small flat water dish and got all that ready and today bought a new spider ,it just said pink toe. When I put it in the enclosure it started walking around and started to climb up the cork so I just left it alone. I just checked on it (about 10 hours after I put it in there) and I don't see it now so I suppose it's on the back of the cork between the cork and the "realistic" backdrop of the terrarium. So already alot more active than the other one because the other one pretty much never moved,where as this one immediately walked around,dipped a few legs in the water and then turned around and started up the bark. My plan is just to leave it alone for a few days