• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tiny G. pulchripes

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Like I needed another tarantula....
I just purchased this itsy bitsy spider to learn to raise such a small sling. For feeding the locally owned pet store said they should be getting in 1/8" crickets later this week. And I could always get flightless fruit flies, but I may also try to cut a small piece of superworm or a piece of a small cricket to see if that works. The store said at this size they can be finicky and probably would not eat it.

The enclosure is not clear as there looks like there had been another sticker in place. But is this a good enough photo for someone to sex it?

20220220_134326.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Oh, and it was about 20 degrees F (-6.66C) outside when I bought it. I cupped it in my hands and when I got into my car, I put it in a grocery bag with a warm rotisserie chicken among other things. The T liked the heat and was plastered on the side nearest the chicken. I checked on it several times.
Cute little bugger.

Anyone have success with pre-killed food at this size? Tomorrow I will be picking up some fruit flies to try.

Egon

3 Year Member
I’m raising three slings between 1/2 to 1/4 inches and I keep mealworms in the fridge and cut them into thirds and feed that. Works like a charm and is much easier than live insects at this stage. The mealworms last for a long time in the fridge.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I may try that, although I prefer superworms. Easier for me to keep as they don't need refrigeration. I was just glad the little bugger took the live flies. I may try pinhead crickets after a molt or two, but my local stores don't keep many.

Egon

3 Year Member
I may try that, although I prefer superworms. Easier for me to keep as they don't need refrigeration. I was just glad the little bugger took the live flies. I may try pinhead crickets after a molt or two, but my local stores don't keep many.
Mealworms don’t need refrigeration, either, it just keeps them dormant so they live much longer so you’re not always buying new ones.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, that is what I meant. They need cooling to slow down their turning into beetles. I think all you need for superworms is having a few together. That apparently prevents them from becoming beetles. Also that means one less thing in the fridge.

Latest posts