• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula

aragog27_tj

3 Year Member
Hey you guys I was wondering if anybody could help me. I'm looking to buy a new T but I don't know which one I should get I'm sort of a beginner hobbyist I've been keeping my T' s for 2 going on 3 years now so I was wondering what T would be the right T to pick next to continue my hobby I already have a G. Pulchripes, Avicularia Urticans, P. Regalis, And a P. Metallica

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd suggest a Lasiodora or Acanthoscurria genus, maybe a Nhandu. Most people who have these find them to be hardy, fast growing, great eaters that don't hide underground so the time. My L Klugi spends 95% of her time in plain site chilling out in frog moss. These seem different enough from what you have but should be no problem.

In terms of old world, I can't say enough nice things about my M balfouri either. This one does spend more time partially underground but is usually fully visible daily, typically at dawn or dusk or when feeding.
L Klugi Justina 1-22-18.jpg
M balfouri 1-21-18 3.jpg

Here is my L Klugi. Great feeding response.

Here is my M balfouri. The feeding response takes a lot longer but is just as interesting. (Shot from a cell phone tripod adapter)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here are five recommendations:

Phormictopus cancerides (get to be very large, fantastic eaters, beyond defensive)

A. geniculata (everything the P. cancerides is, although the defensiveness is more of a feeding response)
This picture speaks for itself:

image.jpeg

B. hamorii (the colorful classic)

My female:

image.jpeg

Psalmopoeus pulcher (can't really describe them yet, as I don't have one currently which is going to change in the next order)

Pamphobeteus platyomma (I don't have one of these or any pamphs for that matter, but look at pictures of any Pamphobeteus Sp. and you will see why I recommend them.

Alternate recommendation: Orphnaecus Sp. "Cebu" (the heaviest webbers in my opinion)

I put that last one there even though you are a beginner (somewhat), but you already have OWs so that is why I recommended the last one, otherwise I wouldn't have done so.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are a bit pricey, but my newest sling is H pulchripes. It's emerging a little more but still vanishes before I can get a good pic.

It eats very well, makes a nice tube web and at times dashes around the enclosure like a lightning bolt. Hopefully as it molts, it'll begin to be out in the open a bit more and chill out.

Latest posts