• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Usherkappa

Hey yall ! Im a new user and im thinking of buying a new tarantula ...so im thinking of a Brachypelma emilia sling and im going to put it in a small terrarium 9.1x6x6.7 (inches) 1) is that size okay ? Also I know that I have to rehome it to a larger terrarium when it becomes an adult but......
2) How do I know when it becomes an adult ?
3) Have you heard about water balls instead of water? First im scared of water cause if the sling drwans and second if I go on a trip for a week for example I find it a good solution to keep the tarantula moisturized when im away ...also do I need to add antychlor in their water and in the water im going to use for the soil ?
4) How often should I feed a sling?
5) can I feed my tarantula only worms ? I mean I hate crickets and ****roaches but worms are okay for me...but I guess tarantula needs a variety ..can you suggest me anything with no crickets or **** roaches ?;(
6) do I need to add vitamis or calcium powder or anything like this in the food ?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1) depends on the size of the sling but it can be fine in there for a while (brachypelma are slow growing so it will be a while) rehousing will be because of size not age and they don’t require a lot of space so it’s your call.
2) you kinda won’t know when it becomes adult. It’s just a size thing Emilias will get to around 6” so around 4” you could say sub adult but it doesn’t reallly matter (males can be smaller)
3)have heard of water balls and tarantulas cannot drink from them. A water dish is fine but for a sling don’t make it too big. An upturned bottle cap will be fine and aslong as the sling is healthy it will not drown
4)slings will be fine being fed once a week. Some people like to do it twice but whatever you choose it won’t always eat anyway and it’s not going to starve
5)worms are fine (I’m assuming super?) for smaller slings crush the head and leave it in over night.
6)no vitamins required. excess Calcium can cause compaction (constipation) and seriously harm your T

to note: as I said brachypelma are slow growing so don’t be alarmed if in a year it’s still small :). Also most sling can and will burrow away and you won’tsee them for moths on end. Continue to feed once a week with a crushed worm and keep water dish topped up.It’s tempting but avoid digging it up, it can cause harm if the T is moulting and the only benefit is for you not it.
Welcome to the hobby and forum :D

Usherkappa

1) depends on the size of the sling but it can be fine in there for a while (brachypelma are slow growing so it will be a while) rehousing will be because of size not age and they don’t require a lot of space so it’s your call.
2) you kinda won’t know when it becomes adult. It’s just a size thing Emilias will get to around 6” so around 4” you could say sub adult but it doesn’t reallly matter (males can be smaller)
3)have heard of water balls and tarantulas cannot drink from them. A water dish is fine but for a sling don’t make it too big. An upturned bottle cap will be fine and aslong as the sling is healthy it will not drown
4)slings will be fine being fed once a week. Some people like to do it twice but whatever you choose it won’t always eat anyway and it’s not going to starve
5)worms are fine (I’m assuming super?) for smaller slings crush the head and leave it in over night.
6)no vitamins required. excess Calcium can cause compaction (constipation) and seriously harm your T

to note: as I said brachypelma are slow growing so don’t be alarmed if in a year it’s still small :). Also most sling can and will burrow away and you won’tsee them for moths on end. Continue to feed once a week with a crushed worm and keep water dish topped up.It’s tempting but avoid digging it up, it can cause harm if the T is moulting and the only benefit is for you not it.
Welcome to the hobby and forum :D

Thank you so much you really help me ! What about the antychlor though ?also do you know what can I do with water if im away for 5 days or more and I dont have someone to tske care of it

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to the forum. :T:
#The enclosure size is very dependent on the size of your tarantula.Good rule of thumb is 3 times your T DLS(Diagonal leg span) as lenght,2 times DLS width and 1.5 DSL height from substrateto top of enclosure(So for a 2 inch spider is 6Lx4Wx4H with 1 inch of substrate )
Small slings can be housed in deli cups wich come in all different sizes.
Brachypelma Emilia is very slow growing species. It will take years till it is an adult( around 5inch in DSL)
#Tarantula is considered adult when it reaches close to their maximum size.
#Strictly no water balls,cristals etc .Only water in a dish. Tarantulas cant drown.They have water repellent exoskeleton and small slings can walk on water.For slings you can use bottle cups for the larger ones and tattoo ink pots for smaller ones.You dont need to treat it in any way.If water is good for you is good for them.Some people like to boil it and cool it down,buy spring water bottles or use it from the tap.Its personal preference. They dont drink much often.If it is only a week you leave your Tarantula just add extra waterbowl in case they soil the first one as a back up.
#It is again size of the sling dependent how often you feed and size of pray too.Smaller slings twice a week if is a small meal or one larger one a week.
#Tarantulas dont need variety.
You can feed one feeder no problem.Meal worms or parts of them are good for slings and juvenile tarantulas.They keep very long in frigde
Morio worms are good for larger juveniles and adults.In very rare occasions some Tarantulas refuse to eat those tho.Those can't be kept in fridge but live quite long.
With the worms above you need to crush their heads or they will burrow or may harm your tarantula.
Also never feed wild caught pray.Always buy them from a reputable vendor.
#You don't need to add any supplements to the feeders just feed them like they are.
#Also
No heat mats ,heat bulbs .....
Tarantulas will do well at room temperatures 17°C to 28°C
Hope that helps
Regards Konstantin

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you so much you really help me ! What about the antychlor though ?also do you know what can I do with water if im away for 5 days or more and I dont have someone to tske care of it
I wouldn’t use anti chlorine. I personally just use tap water. If your worried you could boil water and cool it down or use bottled water.
if your going to be away it’ll be fine. Top the water up before you go , a sling won’t dehydrate in a short period of time unless it’s riddiculously hot :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wouldn’t use anti chlorine. I personally just use tap water. If your worried you could boil water and cool it down or use bottled water.
if your going to be away it’ll be fine. Top the water up before you go , a sling won’t dehydrate in a short period of time unless it’s ridiculously hot :)

To add to that Chlorine disappears very quickly, so some water put into a bottle will have the chlorine dissipate overnight.

And personally my smaller slings, in the small viles, have no water container. Slings are perfectly capable of getting most of their liquid requirement from food & I add to that by very lightly misting a small area on the side of the vile every week or so. Whilst making sure the substrate does not get too moist. For some slings, if I have the space, I also gently ball up a few, very small pieces, of sphagnum moss.

Also the biggest cause of slings dehydrating is heat mats. Especially those under the enclosure.

Usherkappa

#The enclosure size is very dependent on the size of your tarantula.Good rule of thumb is 3 times your T DLS(Diagonal leg span) as lenght,2 times DLS width and 1.5 DSL height from substrateto top of enclosure(So for a 2 inch spider is 6Lx4Wx4H with 1 inch of substrate )
Brachypelma Emilia is very slow growing species. It will take years till it is an adult( around 5inch in DSL)
#Strictly no water balls,cristals etc .Only water in a dish. Tarantulas cant drown.They have water repellent exoskeleton and small slings can walk on water.For slings you can use bottle cups for the larger ones and tattoo ink pots for smaller ones.You dont need to treat it in any way.If water is good for you is good for them.Some people like to boil it and cool it down,buy spring water bottles or use it from the tap.Its personal preference. They dont drink much often.If it is only a week you leave your Tarantula just add extra waterbowl in case they soil the first one as a back up.
#It is again size of the sling dependent how often you feed and size of pray too.Smaller slings twice a week if is a small meal or one larger one a week.
You can feed one feeder no problem.Meal worms or parts of them are good for slings and juvenile tarantulas.They keep very long in frigde
Morio worms are good for larger juveniles and adults.In very rare occasions some Tarantulas refuse to eat those tho.Those can't be kept in fridge but live quite long.
With the worms above you need to crush their heads or they will burrow or may harm your tarantula.
#You don't need to add any supplements to the feeders just feed them like they are.
#Also
Hope that helps
Regards Konstantin
Im so impressed by this forum ..Yall so helpful ! Thank you! thank you! thank you !!

Usherkappa

#Also
Hope that helps
Regards Konstantin
One last thing ...is there any possibility my tarantula decides to mold in the water and drown its self?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One last thing ...is there any possibility my tarantula decides to mold in the water and drown its self?
You’ll find tarantulas have a habit of filling their dishes with substrate so if it was to choose to molt in there it’ll be fine :)
image.jpg

Just an example (1 of many) this guy loves to fill, flip and roll his dishes . Funny to watch thou

testdasi

Possible? Sure, it's possible and has happened before. But it's in the same category of freak accidents like having the bookshelf collapsing on top of the enclosure, that sorta thing.

Strictly speaking, tarantulas main water intake is from preys and they only use other water sources as a sort of on-demand supplement (the anthromorphised equivalent of human drinking water even when not thirsty).
It's entirely possible to not use a water dish at all but then you have to put in more effort to ensure the T is not dehydrated. That is not the easiest thing to do with beginners (and even long-time keepers) so the easiest way is to just offer a water dish.

With regards to water, tarantulas aren't fish. They are not burnt by tape water so no worries there.

Also strictly no dusting / supplementing / "gut loading" of any kind on / for the preys. Excess calcium, in particular, is known to cause wet moult / impaction so should be avoided.
No dusting is obvious but I also include supplementing / "gut loading" to note. For example, it's possible that the oat (usually the more expensive variety) you feed the mealworms is enhanced with vitamin and calcium so the meal worms are effectively gut-loaded. So take note of that - when it comes to tarantulas, usually the cheaper, the better.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulas won't drown in a water dish

You might want to do some more research...
60233985.jpg

Latest posts