• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tarantula Owner

Alfonso Faustino

Hi, all.

My name is Alfonso Faustino.

After doing ~4 months of researching tarantulas, on 18-December-2019, @ 1307 Hours PST, I purchased a Brachypelma Hamorii spiderling; I named him Arogog. He is my first tarantula.

I'm really happy with him; because, he doesn't hide; he is calm; he seems to trust me; he hasn't flicked hairs at me; and, he hasn't taken an aggressive posture with me.

He goes to the vial whenever I need to landscape his enclosure. After I'm done, I put the vial back in his enclosure, and he gets out of the vial on his own.

I think Arogog is a pretty smart and aware tarantula; and, I wanna make sure I make him happy, safe, and comfortable, which is the reason I joined this community -- to learn from you.

Thanks, in advance, for your guidance and support.

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the hobby. We're a very helpful bunch here so if you have any questions please just ask. :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum & the hobby. Hamorii are lovely T's. I do not currently have one, but I do have several Brachy's & until a few weeks ago when some Brachy's became Tliltocatl, I had several more.

Alfonso Faustino

Hello and welcome to the hobby. We're a very helpful bunch here so if you have any questions please just ask. :)
@Enn49: Thank you, so much, for welcoming me...I will be asking many questions, as I learn more about Arogog and observe his behaviours. I like that he faces my direction whenever I open the lid to his enclosure...he has been a pleasure to have in my home during the past week.

Initially, I built an enclosure for a juvenile Brachypelma Hamorii: DLS: >= 2.5". The distributor didn't have one that large; he only had spiderlings and slings.

I purchased the one in the attached pictures, which I named Arogog.

I made him a smaller enclosure; I guess I will have to wait for about 2-5 molts before I can move Arogog into the bigger enclosure that I built.

Last week, over the past two days, he ate six small crickets, and he hasn't eaten since then, which doesn't bother me. His abdomen is really big and looks tight with some shine to it; so, I hope he is going through pre-molt.

He doesn't like free-standing water...I put bottle-cap filled with distilled water, and he kicked his substrate into the bottle-cap; then, he dragged a piece of wet-substrate under the fake plant and began sucking on it; hence, now, I moisten Sphagnum Moss with distilled water, and put the Sphagnum Moss in the bottle-cap; and, that seems to please him.

His DLS with slight bend on both legs: ~1.75" -- I'm guess 2" (5cm) if they were fully straight. I guess his age to be ~2-2.5 years old -- I'm going with 2 years old. I'm still waiting for his first molt with me. The distributor mentioned Arogog went through a molt about two months ago before my purchase.

I followed you and @Foxspider -- I will read and observe your pages and posts and learn from you both and others! Thanks, again.

Check 6!
/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Attachments

• Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_1.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_2.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_5.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Brachypelm Hamorii_Tarantuala_Arogog_5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Alfonso Faustino

Welcome. I love the way you even know the time you purchased Arogog!! That's true love :T:
@Jess S Hi. Thanks for your comment. Pardon me delay in my response; I'm a television and film actor in LA, and it's television pilot season; hence, I've been busy with my agent and manager working on getting me competition ready for my auditions.

Yes, I really love the little guy, and he is showing his first signs of molting while in my care. Today, 28-January-2020, @ 0917 Hours PDT, I noticed a big black spot on his abdomen; hence, I'm really excited to see adult colors on him real soon...I hope.

Arogog is such a gentle tarantula...so far, while in my care, he hasn't taken any defensive postures and actions with me. I feel like we have a bond...if that is at all possible...I just feel it; and, I feel he knows he's in good care with me.

Thanks, again, Jess, for your post.

/s/ Alfonso Faustino

Damn, he's fat as hell. I would stop feeding and wait for a molt.
@Jim_in_PA Hi, Jim. Thanks for your post. I did as you said, and you were 100% correct. Arogog is showing signs of molting -- today, 28-January-2020, I noticed a big black spot on his abdomen; so, you were correct! Thanks, Jim. Check out the picture I attached.

Attachments

• Alfonso Faustino_Arogog_Brachypelma Hamorii_28-January-2020.jpeg
    Alfonso Faustino_Arogog_Brachypelma Hamorii_28-January-2020.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts