• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula owner with questions

LauraS

3 Year Member
Hello,

I'm new to tarantulas. I got a Mexican Redknee last month and a Curly Hair just this past weekend.

My main question is about my B. Smithi. It's a tiny little sling. It has had at least one molt because there was one in the deli cup when I purchased him. At first he was a great eater (feeding on mealworms and dubia roaches) but the past two weeks he has not eaten. Do you think he is getting ready to molt again? It worries me because he is so small! How long can they go without eating?

He is living in a deli cup with a sponge for water on coco fiber. The substrate is moist (maybe too moist but if he's going to molt I thought that might be a good thing). He is at room temperature (75) with no extra heat and just daylight through the window for lighting.

I'm keeping my curly hair in the same conditions (deli cup, sponge for water, 75 degrees). I have only had it since Sunday and it has eaten two dubia roaches. He's a little bigger then the B. Smithi. I'd guess half an inch.

Do there living conditions sound correct?

Thank you all! I'm very new at this. And to think, I used to be afraid of spiders, lol.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
It might be in premolt. I would remove the sponge and just wet a portion of substrate once or twice a week (if it fully dries).

I've had slings go a month without eating... as long as they are hydrated and look plump, you're ok. Your temperature is OK too

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hi Laura,
Molt cycles on small slings in Brachypelma genus average from 30-60 days. Dependent upon feeding rate and enclosure temperature.
I have both species, substrate is topsoil (slightly moist), water dish (cap from 16oz water bottle), a cork hide and prey are pre killed ( crickets, B. laterlis roaches). Using any type of worm( meal worm, morio, etc) as food, I suggest crushing the head first.
Ditch the sponge, they collect molds and bacteria, not a preferred water source.
Substrate should be firmly packed and slightly moist to a depth of 1 1/2". Both species, especially the B. albopilosum, are notorious diggers in the sling stage.
Your temperature at 75 is good, I keep slings at 80-84, helps speed up the molt cycle. Avoid direct sunlight, it can cause the enclosure to get too hot.
Hope this info helps.
Welcome to tarantula keeping. [emoji3]

LauraS

3 Year Member
Thank you for your posts. They make me feel better about what I'm doing. I'll get those sponges out ASAP!

At what size would you consider handling the spiderling? I don't want to overly stress the little guys but I'd like them to be handleable when they're adults so I figured I should probably start youngish. Is that how you "tame" a tarantula?

kaz

3 Year Member
oh boy. Most people on here will tell you, you cannot tame a tarantula and further more shouldn't really hold it. That's personal choice, I don't hold mine have done and probably will on the odd occasion. However people will say that any time you hold the tarantula it will be like its first each and every time. Personally I don't agree. I think they've been around along time and are well adapt and have the capability to learn to some degree there for over Time being aware or getting used to your presence perhaps to some degree. Again people have mixed opinions but who really knows no ones really a tarantula. Id just say if you really want to hold it start when its bigger at least a couple of inches. When their small their fast and probably easier lost! I wouldn't risk it but that's my opinion!!!

also if you plan to handle them id suggest learning and reading about their threat posture etc so that if you do go to hold it your have a better indication and knowledge of understanding when your tarantula is warning you to back off.

Last edited:

LauraS

3 Year Member
It's not so much that I want to hold them as I'd like them to be handleable (as in if I need to move it out of it's enclosure it won't be a big deal to the tarantula because it will know me and won't be afraid). Until very recently I was terrified of spiders (been working to overcome it for years). I'd rather have a tarantula who's not afraid of ME! When my babies are full grown I'd like to think I won't have a jumpy one since I'm kind of jumpy around them myself, lol.

kaz

3 Year Member
its abit of a mixed debate really its hard to say weather they really Learn to tolerate it. Most will say certainly not but I do question weather they learn or become aware you are no danger. I say possible since I have read a few things and seen a video on YouTube of a red knee that actually learned to push against the glass and slide the lid back creating an opening on the other side. Then it had to scramble down go to the other side and through the opening. If this id true it certainly suggests they have the capability to learn. Who knows just be vigilant when you do decide to handle I guess!!

also if your jumpy then you could use other methods to transfer them. My G.rosea can be grumpy so when IV needed go get her out id place a container in the enclosure. On its side and usher her in with a brush of some sort.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm still very new at this but I'll share my two cents for whatever it might be worth. Personally don't see any need to handle as I honestly don't think they get anything out of it. Have to admit my new avic sees it differently. It's out and up my arm the moment I open the enclosure, I'm countering this with a fluffy soft blush brush to block it. My G.porteri does the same thing. I don't think it's because it likes me in any way, just nosy or curious. Bottom line is, if they make you nervous in any way or If your jumpy my advice would be to simply don't do it. It's honestly not worth possibly injuring them when there's lots of other ways to move them ^^ Besides, as you get more comfortable with them you'll know them as individuals and be less jumpy. You could always try then. Remember even a short fall can injure them seriously, even fatally.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As slings, you can handle them to try overcoming your fears because you can take comfort in the knowledge that their fangs can be ignored at this phase. But mind you, these are still quite itchy with all those urticating hairs. Once a T is around 3 inches and up, it gets more scary if you are already scared of them in the first place because these Ts are enormous already with fangs shining and up to 0.5 inch in length! :T:

LauraS

3 Year Member
As slings, you can handle them to try overcoming your fears because you can take comfort in the knowledge that their fangs can be ignored at this phase. But mind you, these are still quite itchy with all those urticating hairs. Once a T is around 3 inches and up, it gets more scary if you are already scared of them in the first place because these Ts are enormous already with fangs shining and up to 0.5 inch in length! :T:

The curly hair (avatar) has already kicked hairs at me so I know he's a hair flicker, lol. I'll probably treat these guys the same way I treated my hermit crabs to be honest. They don't like to be held so I leave them alone unless I need to move them for cleaning or whatever. I treat them "like fish" to be watched but not handled.

I've owned snakes for ten years and it was people's blind hate/fear of them that got me to take a look at my own blind fear of spiders. I can tell my perceptions on spiders has changed because I see pictures and think they are cute! I'm pretty sure I never thought that would happen. I also no longer get a fear response when I see a spider in the house. In the past I would block off whole rooms and sleep with the lights on because I saw one (and I couldn't get close enough to kill it because I was afraid of it so I'd just live in fear for days knowing it was there somewhere out of sight, lol.) Now I can let them live in the house and mind my own business. They eat the flies. I'm a work in progress but owning tarantulas is good for me. ;)

kaz

3 Year Member
exactly me!! Lol. I never liked spiders. Then went to college done animal management. They had two tarantulas in the reptile room. I over came my fear to hold it. Soon then found them fascinating. Never minded house spiders ever since, Moaned at my partner for trying to kill them and eventually started collecting them. Also the easiest pet to look after.

LauraS

3 Year Member
After what was said yesterday I decided that both my Ts needed bigger enclosures in order to fit cork bark and water bowls. I got some small sterilite boxes to use (like sandwich box sized but twice as tall.) I think it'll be fine for the curly hair. He's much bigger then the B. Smithi but it'll still be a long time before he out grows it. I'm worried that it will be way to big for the little one. How do you judge the appropriate sized caging for slings? I've heard twice as big as the leg span but that doesn't give enough room for anything so that can't be right.

Also, I put a prekilled roach in with the B. Smithi last night and he still hadn't eaten by morning.

kaz

3 Year Member
you don't really need anything in there when they're slings. My tiny one is in a square pot about 6cm tall and 5 cm width hes substrate to dig in and that's it just dampen one side of the soil every week or so.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
its abit of a mixed debate really its hard to say weather they really Learn to tolerate it. Most will say certainly not but I do question weather they learn or become aware you are no danger. I say possible since I have read a few things and seen a video on YouTube of a red knee that actually learned to push against the glass and slide the lid back creating an opening on the other side. Then it had to scramble down go to the other side and through the opening. If this id true it certainly suggests they have the capability to learn. Who knows just be vigilant when you do decide to handle I guess!!

also if your jumpy then you could use other methods to transfer them. My G.rosea can be grumpy so when IV needed go get her out id place a container in the enclosure. On its side and usher her in with a brush of some sort.
As far as a tarantulas ability to learn, nobody knows for sure. I've read about their "simple" brain, as much as I could find, and it wasn't much. It looks like a big nerve cluster, but the truth is, nobody can tell us what kind of thoughts or intelligence they might have, because they don't know. It's all theories and speculation. Some suggest they can't even feel pain..which I don't agree with at all. I do believe they can become accustomed to our presence, just based on observing my own spiders behavior, and how it changes as they react to me.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you don't really need anything in there when they're slings. My tiny one is in a square pot about 6cm tall and 5 cm width hes substrate to dig in and that's it just dampen one side of the soil every week or so.
I disagree with this. It's always a good idea to provide a hide for slings, unless they're obligate borrowers. Arboreals obviously need something to attach their webbing to. Terrestrial slings will feel more secure and less exposed if provided with a hide.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been giving even my tiny babies a hide, they may not require it, but anything to make it a bit more natural feeling for them is a good thing in my book. They'll burrow or find a crevice somewhere in the wild. I'm just helping them out providing a little. ^.~

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I haven't given any of the six Columbia lg slings I just got any hides. They all have 2 rocks sticking up like standing stones, a bottle cap for water and 2 inches of dirt. They're webbing pretty good for tiny slings, and seem settled in. They've all eaten well twice and have huge abdomens. I'm happy with their progress. Nothing wrong with giving them a hide, I'm just seeing how and what they do without one. I figure, if they have plants or rocks, they can build their own..and they are :)

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I removed some of the hides in my slings enclosure and replaced them with flat stones instead. Some of my brachys prefer it. :T::T:

LauraS

3 Year Member
Squish molted! :) I should I offer prekilled food now or wait a day or two? Also should I wait to transfer him to his new home or would it be ok to move him now?

Squish11.14.15.jpg

Latest posts