• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula owner here

tyrantula79

My 9 year old brother recently got all of the equipment he has needed for a pink toed tarantula. He has wanted one for a year or two, and we thought it would make a nice Christmas present. The pet store employees said it would be an easy first pet for him. I would still be doing all of the work, of course, as I have reptiles of my own that I care for. I did all of the research myself to make sure I’d be providing him the proper care. I got all of my information for husbandry mainly from these websites, and I made sure it was right. We got him about a month ago. He was very active the first week or so, and then quickly went to the bottom of the cage. I thought this was extremely weird for an arboreal spider. He hasn’t moved very much since. He shifts positions every day, so I know he’s alive, but he hasn’t come out of his half log hide for awhile. It doesn’t look as if he’s about to molt, either. I’m just really worried about him. After we got him, we waited a few days to feed him. Then, I put one cricket in there to find it completely gone. I waited a few days and started to put more and more in there, taking out whatever was eaten the next day. This was fine the first week, but he hasn’t eaten in awhile. It doesn’t seem as if he’s been drinking either, as he isn’t moving outside of his cage. I posted a picture of his viv on another forum, and everyone recommended that I order more foiliage, as it was too exposed at the time. I did so, and put it in his viv, providing lots of coverage. He still hasn’t come out. In fact, he’s webbed himself in the hide. Is there something I am doing wrong? Could it still be stress? We have the proper temps and humidity, and we have no lights/UTH. The room lights are off all night, so the cycle is consistent. I will upload a picture in the morning to give you a better idea of the habitat.

Latest posts