• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula. Not settling in right.

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
Hello,

I'm requiring some advice. I'm new to just recently buying my tarantula. She is a year and a half old and she is an Australian desert tarantula (phlogius sp). She is in a decent size enclosure not too big.. I put her in yesterday for the time but all she has done so far is just sit in the corner of her enclosure where the heat mat is located. I understand she hasnt settled properly yet But should I be worried or is there anything I can be doing? I'm hoping she will move under the skull to create a home. Any help would be really appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    781.7 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 122

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello,

I'm requiring some advice. I'm new to just recently buying my tarantula. She is a year and a half old and she is an Australian desert tarantula (phlogius sp). She is in a decent size enclosure not too big.. I put her in yesterday for the time but all she has done so far is just sit in the corner of her enclosure where the heat mat is located. I understand she hasnt settled properly yet But should I be worried or is there anything I can be doing? I'm hoping she will move under the skull to create a home. Any help would be really appreciated.
[emoji33] OMG!!!
Where to start?
First, Phlogius are obligate burrowers. Your setup is for a terrestrial species. Add, at minimum, 6"-7" of topsoil and pack it firmly. The surface can have a slope, but not more than 1" deviation. I had to start the burrows for mine (Phlogius sp. "Eunice") since none attempted burrows for 3 weeks. Just use a dowel rod or small broom handle and make a hole straight down about 4", it will take over from there. Do place a cork slab covering at least 1/2 of the opening. Its fine to place the water dish in a corner, these rarely ever climb. Keep it filled with water at all times.
Don't offer food for about a week, this gives time to work on its burrow and acclimate itself. From the photo it looks healthy and isn't going to starve for quite some time.
Remove the heat mat from the bottom and place it on a side with it level to the surface of the topsoil. Once a month moisten a corner, not soak, and allow to dry out. These are from dry scrub lands and don't require much humidity.
Another item is: these do have medically significant venom and are not to be handled. Always use tongs or long (12") tweezers when doing any work in its home. If the top has mesh screen, replace it with a piece of acrylic with holes drilled in it. Holes should be along two sides to aid in air flow. They will tear through nylon and aluminum mesh screens like a hot knife through butter. I'm not joking about this, they have nothing else to do but exploit means to escape.
IMO, not a species for a beginner, surprisingly fast and unpredictable species.
The above is based on my experience, not a care sheet or something one might read on the internet.
Hope this helped. Good luck and be careful.

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
[emoji33] OMG!!!
Where to start?
First, Phlogius are obligate burrowers. Your setup is for a terrestrial species. Add, at minimum, 6"-7" of topsoil and pack it firmly. The surface can have a slope, but not more than 1" deviation. I had to start the burrows for mine (Phlogius sp. "Eunice") since none attempted burrows for 3 weeks. Just use a dowel rod or small broom handle and make a hole straight down about 4", it will take over from there. Do place a cork slab covering at least 1/2 of the opening. Its fine to place the water dish in a corner, these rarely ever climb. Keep it filled with water at all times.
Don't offer food for about a week, this gives time to work on its burrow and acclimate itself. From the photo it looks healthy and isn't going to starve for quite some time.
Remove the heat mat from the bottom and place it on a side with it level to the surface of the topsoil. Once a month moisten a corner, not soak, and allow to dry out. These are from dry scrub lands and don't require much humidity.
Another item is: these do have medically significant venom and are not to be handled. Always use tongs or long (12") tweezers when doing any work in its home. If the top has mesh screen, replace it with a piece of acrylic with holes drilled in it. Holes should be along two sides to aid in air flow. They will tear through nylon and aluminum mesh screens like a hot knife through butter. I'm not joking about this, they have nothing else to do but exploit means to escape.
IMO, not a species for a beginner, surprisingly fast and unpredictable species.
The above is based on my experience, not a care sheet or something one might read on the internet.
Hope this helped. Good luck and be careful.
Is this 100% correct that I need to put 6/7 cm of substrate? The spider store said that all I need for this species was 3/4cm and that would be perfectly fine? I'm a bit confused now as to how to look after her properly...

Fleas

3 Year Member
I say don't listen to the pet store mostly all pet store are unknowledgeable about the exotics they keep. The information that therasoid said is the way to go and Welcome to the hobby:T:

Ghost

3 Year Member
Is this 100% correct that I need to put 6/7 cm of substrate? The spider store said that all I need for this species was 3/4cm and that would be perfectly fine? I'm a bit confused now as to how to look after her properly...

Yes the information that Therasoid gave you is correct and as Fleas said alot of pet stores don't know that much about keeping T's.

If your looking for more information on keeping Australian Tarantulas then I suggest you have a look at Steve Nunn's site there's not much that he doesn't know about keeping these species you can have a look at http://www.thedailylink.com/australiantarantulas/

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Yes, I'm positive. Been keeping and breeding burrowers for 15+ years, kind of my favorite type of tarantulas.
Since you are metric, depth should be 15-16 1/2 cm for now. Depending on your exact species, the depth will at least double when fully matured.
Being, as you stated, its from a pet store are they positive that is Phlogius sp.? I've seen mislabeled species in the past and being kept completely wrong in the showcase.
Phlogius is relatively new to the hobby, but spreading quick, so there's no actual "care sheets" on them. In my research they should be kept like African baboons of the south and west regions of Africa.
Take the advice of Ghost and check Steve Nunn's site. He is the best authority on Australian species.
"Not meaning to scare,but to prepare." If indeed you bought a Phlogius sp. as your first T.
Not being rude, please take my advice. You asked, I supplied. I'm here to help. [emoji106]

Petter

3 Year Member
Is this the whistling spider, or am I wrong? I always wanted one of those :) Beautiful spider you got yourself, welcome to the hobby :D !
But as stated above, yes they do burrow, so you will need some deeper substrace :) No need to panic though, it's not your fault the pet store gave you the wrong information, and the spider is perfectly fine for now!
I do all my research online rather than the pet store, whether it be youtube or forums such as this, you can find great information about your species online! :D

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
Thank you so much for all your information guys. I'm pretty annoyed that this shop gave me all the wrong information! I'm going today to get a lot more substrate. Just another quick question do you think it's wise for me to put a glass empty jar not too big in size In the middle of the substrate nearest the top then make a hole with the end of a broom stick so that it can find it so that would be its home? I was going to do this under the skull that I have in the photo?

Petter

3 Year Member
Thank you so much for all your information guys. I'm pretty annoyed that this shop gave me all the wrong information! I'm going today to get a lot more substrate. Just another quick question do you think it's wise for me to put a glass empty jar not too big in size In the middle of the substrate nearest the top then make a hole with the end of a broom stick so that it can find it so that would be its home? I was going to do this under the skull that I have in the photo?
If i'm not completely mistaken it will make it's home underground all alone. What I would do is start a burrow he can finish by one of the glass walls, so when it hides in the burrow you can still see it even when it's hiding :p You don't want a spider burrowing in the middle of the tank where you can't see it! Remember these guys like being underground ;)
Picture from google to illustrate what I mean
rYat0fq.jpg

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
Ah I see what you mean. I'll do that then. This morning I've looked at her and she has moved under the skull but is just sitting there no signs of burrowing or anything I'm going to move her out today and re build her enclosure hopefully so she is happy!

Petter

3 Year Member
Ah I see what you mean. I'll do that then. This morning I've looked at her and she has moved under the skull but is just sitting there no signs of burrowing or anything I'm going to move her out today and re build her enclosure hopefully so she is happy!
Be careful and patient when doing this, since you're new to the hobby I would strongly suggest taking your time removing it from the enclosure :) Not saying it will escape, i'm just saying better safe than sorry :p I'm glad to hear she moved, you might want to give it a few days to settle in once you finish the new setup, I wouldn't panic or think too much about it if it didn't locate the burrow the first day or two. I hope you will post some photos when it's all set up and ready :D I would love to see more pics of this one, it's beautiful! :) :)

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
Be careful and patient when doing this, since you're new to the hobby I would strongly suggest taking your time removing it from the enclosure :) Not saying it will escape, i'm just saying better safe than sorry :p I'm glad to hear she moved, you might want to give it a few days to settle in once you finish the new setup, I wouldn't panic or think too much about it if it didn't locate the burrow the first day or two. I hope you will post some photos when it's all set up and ready :D I would love to see more pics of this one, it's beautiful! :) :)
She's only small at the moment so I'm really interested in seeing what she will grow into :). I'm just going to use a smaller container ventilated to try to slowly push her into that for around 20 minutes or so before I set up the enclosure.. I'm not too sure what to do with the skull either if I should have that near the start of her burrow or not hahaha. I'll post more photos when I can get a clear shot of her :)

Petter

3 Year Member
She's only small at the moment so I'm really interested in seeing what she will grow into :). I'm just going to use a smaller container ventilated to try to slowly push her into that for around 20 minutes or so before I set up the enclosure.. I'm not too sure what to do with the skull either if I should have that near the start of her burrow or not hahaha. I'll post more photos when I can get a clear shot of her :)
I would suggest "How to rehouse a tarantula" videos on youtube, I had to remove my tarantula from the enclosure for the first time today, it was nerve wrecking, not gonna lie haha :p As for the skull I would definitely keep it in the enclosure, I love decoration, makes it more personal I feel. You never know, the spider might even make some impressive webbing on it, that would give it a natural look and would fit the skull perfectly!

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
I would suggest "How to rehouse a tarantula" videos on youtube, I had to remove my tarantula from the enclosure for the first time today, it was nerve wrecking, not gonna lie haha :p As for the skull I would definitely keep it in the enclosure, I love decoration, makes it more personal I feel. You never know, the spider might even make some impressive webbing on it, that would give it a natural look and would fit the skull perfectly!
Awesome I'll check it out.. I just spoke to the person I bought the spider from apparently it's not a phlogius they sold me a Selenotholus??? I'm so confused now what kind is that? Lol

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I really doubt it will use it as a home, glass is smooth and won't allow digging to enlarge. Think like its a concrete room with only 1 door.
You can place the jar upside down, in the center, then pack the substrate around and on top. This will cause it to tunnel along the sides for better viewing.
Don't expect to see it on the surface, they stay underground majority of their life. Late in the evenings you'll see the front legs. They are "ambush" predators, waiting for prey to get near their opening. They strike very quickly, blink your eyes and you'll miss the action, then dart down their burrow to chow down.
Mine are 3 inches and I feed once a week, normal meal is 3 adult roaches. Always keep the water dish full.
If and when you see it has sealed off the opening, this is a sure sign of molting. Do not put any prey in the enclosure. Once it has reopened the door, wait 5-7 days and resume normal feedings. The waiting period is to ensure that its fangs have fully hardened and can do the job their meant for.

DZTRBD

3 Year Member
I really doubt it will use it as a home, glass is smooth and won't allow digging to enlarge. Think like its a concrete room with only 1 door.
You can place the jar upside down, in the center, then pack the substrate around and on top. This will cause it to tunnel along the sides for better viewing.
Don't expect to see it on the surface, they stay underground majority of their life. Late in the evenings you'll see the front legs. They are "ambush" predators, waiting for prey to get near their opening. They strike very quickly, blink your eyes and you'll miss the action, then dart down their burrow to chow down.
Mine are 3 inches and I feed once a week, normal meal is 3 adult roaches. Always keep the water dish full.
If and when you see it has sealed off the opening, this is a sure sign of molting. Do not put any prey in the enclosure. Once it has reopened the door, wait 5-7 days and resume normal feedings. The waiting period is to ensure that its fangs have fully hardened and can do the job their meant for.
Is this the same for the Selenotholus species? As apparently this is what the shop has now sold me....

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Awesome I'll check it out.. I just spoke to the person I bought the spider from apparently it's not a phlogius they sold me a Selenotholus??? I'm so confused now what kind is that? Lol
Selenotholus foelschei? If so, they are from Northern Territory, Australia and grouped in the Selenocosmiinae sub family. Keep the same as Phlogius sp. [emoji3]

Latest posts