• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tarantula fan.

Mrjuve

Hi all I am completely new to the hobby and am looking for a small T to start. I have been researching the Euathlus sp ( and it's renamings!). I am practically interested in the Euathlus sp yellow and red now Homoeomma orellanai and chilensis. Been looking for one for about 8 months now but no joy. Anyway I look forward to learning all about Ts and meeting some new friends.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome :)
You need incredible patience with the Homoeommas, they are incredibly slow growing especally the chilensis taking years to reach even 1". I'd recommend a Davus pentaloris or one of the Cyriocosmus genus, they're pretty and New World.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello & welcome to the forum. As Enn49 says above the H chilensis are incredibly slow growing. I brought 2 tiny slings last summer & both have possibly molted once & both are still only about 5mm.

Mrjuve

Wow thanks for the prompt replies. I have definately come to the right place.

Although I really like the Homoeomma orellanai and homoeomma chilensis I am await of low availability and slow growth rate I have created a list of others as I now have plenty of time research. My list of species to look into that are smaller varieties as below but would welcome any others.

Avicularia minatrix
Dolichothele diamantinensis
Paraphysa sp. Tiger
Hapalopus sp Colombia klein
Cyriocosmus Bertae (peruvian dwarf beauty)

Thanks all.

Mrjuve

Hi and welcome :)
You need incredible patience with the Homoeommas, they are incredibly slow growing especally the chilensis taking years to reach even 1". I'd recommend a Davus pentaloris or one of the Cyriocosmus genus, they're pretty and New World.
Thanks for the advice. I really like that Davis Pentaloris. Stunning colour. That will be added to my list. Apart from the friendliness of the members it is clear that everyone has another thing in common...one Tarantula is never enough.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The dwarf Ts I have
Aphonopelma sp. montane 2” NW
Catumiri argentinense 2” NW
Cyriocosmus aueri 2” NW
Cyriocosmus leetzi 2” NW
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi Bolivian Dwarf Tiger 2” NW
Heterothele gabonensis 1.5” OW
Heterothele villosella Dwarf Chestnut 2” OW
Holothele sanguiniceps Trinidad Pink 2” OW
Phlogeillus sp namtok phlio 2” OW
Phlogiellus sp. Baeri PhilippineDwarf 2-3” NW
Phlogiellus sp. Khao sok 2” OW
Plesiopelma longisternale Argentine Pygmy Bird Eater NW
Plesiophrictus sp kerala 2” OW

Mrjuve

The dwarf Ts I have
Aphonopelma sp. montane 2” NW
Catumiri argentinense 2” NW
Cyriocosmus aueri 2” NW
Cyriocosmus leetzi 2” NW
Cyriocosmus perezmilesi Bolivian Dwarf Tiger 2” NW
Heterothele gabonensis 1.5” OW
Heterothele villosella Dwarf Chestnut 2” OW
Holothele sanguiniceps Trinidad Pink 2” OW
Phlogeillus sp namtok phlio 2” OW
Phlogiellus sp. Baeri PhilippineDwarf 2-3” NW
Plesiopelma longisternale Argentine Pygmy Bird Eater NW
Plesiophrictus sp kerala 2” OW

Wow quite the list of dwarf Ts you have. Which is your favourite and which has the best character?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I vote for Dolichothele diamantinensis or Typhochlaena seladonia, if you can get the latter...

FWIW, there are 3 color forms of D. diamantinensis

Mrjuve

I have seen the Typhochlaena seladonia. Info I have read suggests best left to advanced owners. But it is stunning and pricey! I can see what one T is never enough.

Latest posts