• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T has arrived

Calico

3 Year Member
Recieved my female B.Albo today. She is very tiny, I expected a little bigger but I'm very happy that I will get to see her grow.
I'm a little confused, however, because she looks nothing like I thought she would. When do they start looking like the fuzzy little critters in all the pictures?
Regardless, I'm completely happy with her and hope she will be happy and healthy.

Attachments

• 20180109_125926.jpg
    20180109_125926.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 27

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Nice, congrats on the new addition. As enn and panzo said, she will get fuzzier as she grows. I got mine as a 3/4" sling, and its good 3" a little after a year. At any rate you'll love raising her and she's the perfect size too. Well started so a little easier to take care of and you won't have to wait as long, yet still small enough to where you'll get to watch her transform with each molt. Enjoy!!!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The best parts of owning a B. albopilosum are seeing what they look like right after molting (the gold highlights tend to be brighter after a molt in my opinion), watching them pounce on their food.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
The best parts of owning a B. albopilosum are seeing what they look like right after molting (the gold highlights tend to be brighter after a molt in my opinion), watching them pounce on their food.
I agree....;)
here is my 2.5-3" B. albopilosum (Nicaraguan) right after a molt.
Cuz Fluffy.jpg

Attachments

• More Fluffy.jpg
    More Fluffy.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
This is what I'm looking forward to!
It has looked that Fluffy since 2", yours would need to be from the recent influx of pure Nicaraguan locale B. albopilosum or a pure Honduran for it to become that fluffy. A good portion of the hobby bred stock has been muddied from hybrids with other Brachy species.

Calico

3 Year Member
It has looked that Fluffy since 2", yours would need to be from the recent influx of pure Nicaraguan locale B. albopilosum or a pure Honduran for it to become that fluffy. A good portion of the hobby bred stock has been muddied from hybrids with other Brachy species.

Well, that is disappointing! She's about 1 1/2". Maybe after next molt she'll fluff up a little. I still love her already tho

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Well, that is disappointing! She's about 1 1/2". Maybe after next molt she'll fluff up a little. I still love her already tho
There were at least 6 sacs produced by one breeder each with about 6-800 baby B. albo Nicaraguan spiderlings in the last 4 months. they are all over and about $15-20ea. They are an easy sling to grow, eat well, no reason not to hunt them up.
Here is where I got mine and I know the breeder who supplied Swift's with the slings. scroll down to the Nicaraguan form slings
http://www.swiftinverts.com/tprices2.htm

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There were at least 6 sacs produced by one breeder each with about 6-800 baby B. albo Nicaraguan spiderlings in the last 4 months. they are all over and about $15-20ea. They are an easy sling to grow, eat well, no reason not to hunt them up.
Here is where I got mine and I know the breeder who supplied Swift's with the slings. scroll down to the Nicaraguan form slings
http://www.swiftinverts.com/tprices2.htm
I need to get some of those. I think fear not has or had some as well.

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
Which color form were the parents? There's a wild one and a darker morph called the hobby version etc.

Actually you are mistaken.....Brachypelma albopilosum inhabits a wide range of Central America, there are Locales from Honduras, Cost Rica, Nicaragua, and probably others. Each has evolved into a slightly different form and coloration due to conditions over 1000's of years.
"Hobby Form" refers to those locales that were unintentionally crossed, hybrids that were created with other Brachypelmas (some intentional) and many years of inbreeding the resulting mutts.