1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New slings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by scottydog1983, Apr 14, 2018.

1. scottydog1983

scottydog1983 New Member

yesterday I became the proud owner of a Venezuelan sun tiger and salmon pink birdeater and was just after experienced people with advice on when it is good to change from critter box to Viv s when it is good to start handling and how often to feed and clean them out I've dome a bit of reading up but all advice helps
    ALD and Dave Jay like this.
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi, welcome to the hobby.:)
    Could you give us an idea of their size and if you can post some photos of your tarantulas and their present containers it will be easier for people to advise you.
    Dave Jay, sdsnybny and Arachnoclown like this.
  3. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

I love the new additions...however handling a Psalmopoeus irminia isn't a very smart thing. They're extremely defensive, fast, and quick to bite. Even though their a new world species their venom is quite strong. I've had many in my collection and I would rather handle most pokies than a suntiger. Just my opinion...if that's your wish then so be it. Post some pics of your new Ts and we can answer your questions.
    Dave Jay and Enn49 like this.
  4. Kymura

Kymura Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi there and welcome, adore psalmo's, but agree with @Arachnoclown on handling them.
    Sooooo, pictures please, we have no idea the size or set ups to advise you about ^.~

here, so we are all on the same page with things :)
    Psalmopoeus irminia, also known as the Venezuelan suntiger or psalmo
    Lasiodora parahybana, the Brazilian salmon pink bird-eating tarantula, also known as the salmon pink or LP
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Dave Jay likes this.
  5. scottydog1983

scottydog1983 New Member

Attached Files:

Dave Jay likes this.
  6. scottydog1983

scottydog1983 New Member

this is my sun tiger my salmon pink is hiding and don' want to disturb her but she is about the same size
    Dave Jay likes this.
  7. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. :)
    I don't keep those species so I won't try to give advice on care, but there's lots of information here if you search .
  8. Whitelightning777

Whitelightning777 Well-Known Member

Lasiodora species are great tarantulas but are not handleable, which is a good thing. Even if the tarantula had the temperment for it, the urticating hairs are horrific. The feeding response is so powerful that they think everything is food, including you.

Deadly tarantula girl has a video she did on P irminia in which she tries to work with multiple specimens with highly entertaining results!!

Dave Jay and ALD like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted