• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Sling Mom - Update! Sling Eating... Y'all Are the BEST

cmvcarlsson

Soooo. Super stoked... excuse my new mom nerd-ness for my first T. But I was really worried about my sling not eating.... got lots of good advice from this forum... and I just want to share how awesome my baby Velcro is! He caught and destroyed his first "big" cricket since his molt! I am slowly learning they are not like reptiles. Sorry for the bad photos I to zoom in. :)
IMG_1783.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1791 2.jpg
    IMG_1791 2.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 9

cmvcarlsson

So I dropped in 3 crickets last night... they are all gone this morning. Is it normal for a sling to eat 3 crickets???? Is it stock-piling them somewhere or just really hungry? Today he is just sitting in his water dish which is almost dry.... I'm gonna let Velcro do its thing and wait a good while to feed.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
tarantulas are opportunistic eaters.They will eat as much as possible and then once full they will refuse food till after moult.Its ok to give your Ts couple of large meals post moult(After they have hardened ) but overfeeding is asking for long fasts and possible going into hiding while that fast lasts.
One appropriate size pray item or two smaller ones once a week will be more than enough and if abdomen gets too large skipping meal or two will be good idea if water is always available
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So I dropped in 3 crickets last night... they are all gone this morning. Is it normal for a sling to eat 3 crickets???? Is it stock-piling them somewhere or just really hungry?
Sometimes yes, to both.

Some Ts will eat like pigs (I recommend underfeed vs overfeed, keep em hungry-ish and lean) and some will kill and stash for a rainy day. I discourage the latter by underfeeding.

cmvcarlsson

Sometimes yes, to both.

Some Ts will eat like pigs (I recommend underfeed vs overfeed, keep em hungry-ish and lean) and some will kill and stash for a rainy day. I discourage the latter by underfeeding.
Yeah, my plan was not that it would eat all 3... lol I was just thinking he would take one. Lesson learned. I definitely plan to wait to feed it for a good while. :)

Latest posts