• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New pet scorpions

SpellKaster4

Hey guys, long time no see!

I haven't posted in forever but I've found myself with some new friends and could use some advice. Side note, my LP Peter is doing great and getting bigger all the time. His leg span is a little over 2.5 inches now I think. Anyway! I just got myself a pair of Asian forest scorpions. This is a first for me so I've been diving into all the research to take proper care of the little dudes. I've gotten their housing down since it's pretty easy all in all but the thing I could use some help on is feeding. Everywhere I look it mostly says to feed them either crickets or superworms/mealworms. So question one, and this might be a dumb one, are dubia okay for scorpions as well? I would assume so but being a first time scorp dad I figured I'd double check. Question two is what are everyone's thoughts on feeding frequency? I've read several times a week to once a week. I was thinking I would just offer food and see what my dudes were feeling but again, figured I'd ask. My last question is gauging food size. I know the rule of thumb for T's but what about scorpions? I know that size can affect all of this, one of my scorpions is roughly 3 inches from face to base of tail. The other is around 2ish inches face to base of tail.
Sorry for being long winded but I had to vomit out a lot of thoughts while I was thinking them lol. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can lend!

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
Hey guys, long time no see!

I haven't posted in forever but I've found myself with some new friends and could use some advice. Side note, my LP Peter is doing great and getting bigger all the time. His leg span is a little over 2.5 inches now I think. Anyway! I just got myself a pair of Asian forest scorpions. This is a first for me so I've been diving into all the research to take proper care of the little dudes. I've gotten their housing down since it's pretty easy all in all but the thing I could use some help on is feeding. Everywhere I look it mostly says to feed them either crickets or superworms/mealworms. So question one, and this might be a dumb one, are dubia okay for scorpions as well? I would assume so but being a first time scorp dad I figured I'd double check. Question two is what are everyone's thoughts on feeding frequency? I've read several times a week to once a week. I was thinking I would just offer food and see what my dudes were feeling but again, figured I'd ask. My last question is gauging food size. I know the rule of thumb for T's but what about scorpions? I know that size can affect all of this, one of my scorpions is roughly 3 inches from face to base of tail. The other is around 2ish inches face to base of tail.
Sorry for being long winded but I had to vomit out a lot of thoughts while I was thinking them lol. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can lend!
My little Asian forest scorpion seems to eat once a week. If it doesn't seem to take live prey, try find smaller prey items. Or, prekill it, and drop it in the enclosure. Scorpions sometimes scavenge on dead insects too. At least mine has. Best of luck in your scorpion raising.