• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Metallic Pink Toe, Questionsss

Sori

3 Year Member
Hey everyone. This is my first time here, and first post. I am a new T owner, and had some bad luck with the baby Salmon Pink Birdeater I had. I bought that one when it was 1/8th of an inch, and it made it through 2 molts to about an inch before it just up and died. No clue how that happened, everything was perfect. Temp/humidity/feeding. It just wound up on it's back for over a week and I eventually just dumped him.

Tragic.

Now I decided to get a bigger one to start out with, and ended up getting a 2.5 inch Metallic Pink Toe.

Over the last 2 days, it has eaten 2 crickets, and has been very docile - Not showing any aggressive behavior, or being skittish in the least. I want this T to be handleable, so I have been petting it a few times each day while gauging it's behavior.

Here is a video I took yesterday morning when I first brought the T home and was getting it prepared for rehousing.

Sorry, there are a few cuss words in there. I have arachnophobia and it took alot for me to open up that container lol. I'm in the process of trying to get over my fear of spiders since it is the only fear I have yet to conquer.

As for the questions, here is a few.

When can I expect it to molt ( what is the cycle for this species ).

It has been sitting in the corner of the 10 gallon habitat away from the corkbark / plants, just sitting on the substrate kind of propped up on the glass. I noticed it spun a little tiny web that looks like a sac, attached to it's underbelly and the glass, and is filled with substrate. I have no idea what this is, but he has yet to move from that spot since I discovered it.

I just want the little guy to be ok, and to understand what it is he is doing, why he is sitting there, and what that sac is.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Sorry for the book.

TLDR: Read the last 3 paragraphs for the questions.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! I am not much on arboreals so I will leave your main questions to those who have dealt with them, as I have only kept terrestrials.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WTTB!
As far as when she will Moult. depends on when her last moult was. Avicularis(genus) species grow quickly, and she could moult every 3-5 months. You'll notice that she'll get very lethargic and refuse food in pre-moult.

If you could post a picture of the "SAC" it would be helpful.

A few issues with your enclosure; It looks like there is a spounge in there. Get rid of it, all spounges do is breed bacteria. Not inverebrate, should ever have a spounge.
Also I'm not exactly sure what the substrate is ,it looks like wood chips, your gonna want to get her off that and onto some ec0-earth.

As far as handling. I strongly suggest not handling Avics. they don't bite, but can be very fast and unpredictable, not a good 1st handling T.
Petting it, will not make it more tolerable to handling.

Feel free to ask any additional questions you may have and we'll gladly answer them.

Sori

3 Year Member
If you noticed in the video, I said a few times that I just got it from the pet shop and was feeding it before I rehoused it. I will go ahead and grab a few more pictures and put them up to clarify.

Sori

3 Year Member
66179_4853039119639_2081424534_n.jpg
798240_4853213203991_1017413725_o.jpg
830250_4856286960833_1237616297_o.jpg
843940_4856294441020_1861362015_o.jpg

Sori

3 Year Member
Ah sorry, no I researched what an arboreal enclosure should be like, and I already had most of the stuff from when I had a chameleon. So I used that and just bought new substrate.

In the last picture, you can see the web attached to the glass, but you can't see the sac ( because it is pretty much just substrate clinging to a bunch of web. ), hard to capture in pics.

Does everything look right? Is there anything I should change?

Thank yall so much :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A few issues.
Get rid of the light. Tarantulas don't need, or like light.
Honestly that tank is a bit big, It may be very difficult for her to catch her prey in there.
And finally humidity, It's very hard to keep humidity in a glass tank, and Avics need higher humidity levels.

Sori

3 Year Member
Hmm. Well one light is a Nocturnal heat lamp ( barely pictured ) that doesn't really provide any visual light, it just provide heat. The 2nd light in the back is for me to see the tarantula. I only turn it on when I am messing with the tank. As far as humidity, it can't be helped I suppose that it is glass. It's what I got and the humidity was always easy enough to manage with the chameleon in there.

The tank is a bit big I thought, but so far I drop the crickets in next to the spider and it instantly pounces on them. So, that's not an issue. yet.

But what is that Sac? I keep calling it a sac because that's what it looks like, and it's just weird. I don't know what it is or what it is for.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unless your house if under 65* your spider doesnt need additional heat.

I'm not seeing the "sac" that you are referring to. (maybe I'm just missing it?). Its likely either an eggsac or a bolus.

Sori

3 Year Member
What is a bolus? And why would it have an eggsac right now? I told you that you couldn't really see it, the webbing is stuck to the side of the container, and it is literally sitting on the sac, although when I got the T to move a little bit, it was about the size of a quarter and substrate was stuck to it all over.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A bolus is a ball of uneaten exo-skeleton. It could be an eggsac, just a non fertile one(when you measured it is it 2.5" in body length or diagonal legspan?). It could also be webbed substrate. Can't really tell you if we can't see it.

Tguy

3 Year Member
Hi and welcome to TF ... looks like mature male to me ....and that sub is too dry...you can use some plastic wrap over part of the lid it will help keep it more humid but you should give the sub a really good spray first ...moist not swampy you can add another waterdish too

Sori

3 Year Member
Ok I've sprayed the crap out of it on and off today, that should hold for a while. Now I can do little bits of spray here and there to maintain it. The guys at the pet shop said it still had another 1-2 years to mature depending on if it is a male or female. It's quite a bit smaller than the others I've seen in videos, so I seriously doubt it's full grown.

The guys at the shop couldn't even sex it off the last molt.

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
As has been said, that enclosure (in my opinion) is way too big. A smaller enclosure with more height than floor space, and somewhere to hide would be more suitable. I feel like she/he may become stressed in that enclosure. I keep a full water dish and wet the sub now and then too. This will help with humidity more than misting. I do mist every week or twice a week though for an alternate drinking source. Also, a screen lid is going to keep no humidity in whatsoever.

Sori

3 Year Member
Ok. So, cut off the side of the tank, mount a plexiglass lid. Flip it up so there is more vertical space, put more leaves and stuff in so it can hide, and feed it baby turtles. Got it.

Sori

3 Year Member
Question. The T has been hanging out on the lid. How am I supposed to get in there without risking injury to myself or the T? Also how do I prevent the T from attaching his web to the lid?