• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's one possibility. This genus contains many members which are very similar in terms of husbandry that differ only in looks and availability.

Here's another classic species. B vagans is also a classic first tarantula as well, great alternative & one of the most under rated species ever.

She turned out to be a he, but since they grow slowly, sex isn't as important.

If you want to do an arboreal instead of a terrestrial, these are a great choice. I'd get a sling at or over 2" because they can be a little delicate. You need an elevated water dish, halfway decent or better airflow or better. They are a DRY spider. Aside from the waterdish which should be always full, they require ZERO additional moisture ever.

She also turned out to be a male most likely, but still awesome.

MissKitty

Here's one possibility. This genus contains many members which are very similar in terms of husbandry that differ only in looks and availability.

Here's another classic species. B vagans is also a classic first tarantula as well, great alternative & one of the most under rated species ever.

She turned out to be a he, but since they grow slowly, sex isn't as important.

If you want to do an arboreal instead of a terrestrial, these are a great choice. I'd get a sling at or over 2" because they can be a little delicate. You need an elevated water dish, halfway decent or better airflow or better. They are a DRY spider. Aside from the waterdish which should be always full, they require ZERO additional moisture ever.

She also turned out to be a male most likely, but still awesome.

If you have moss and coco,fiber to hold humidity, I would agree,but these are arboreal and come from humid places, so,I don't think just a water dish is enough.

nedaK

If you have moss and coco,fiber to hold humidity, I would agree,but these are arboreal and come from humid places, so,I don't think just a water dish is enough.
It is enough. You don’t have a pink toe. I’ve had mine for almost a year with just a water dish and it’s still kicking.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

The GROUND does indeed have humidity is conditions, but as we all know, humid air is far denser then dry air.

Basically an air-water mix sinks under pure fresh air. Once you get into the tops of the trees, which is where these guys live, it's a dry heat.

They drink water that pools within puddles on leaves and eat a variety of insects both flying and flightless in nature.

Excess humidity causes fungal infections in the book lungs that are virtually impossible to see and they die suddenly (SADS) Even if you did see it and catch it early, there's nothing you can do except correct the conditions and hope it goes away or pray for a moot, which discards the old book lungs.

Sudden
Avic
Death
Syndrome

Just give them a big elevated waterdish & they can drink as much water as they want & do so without those lethal fungal infections.

Moisture dependent fossoral or terrestrial species obviously have adaptions or better immune systems to avoid such problems.

That's why a T stirmi living under a tree is moisture dependent but a pink toe living in the top of the very same tree will be killed by humid air.

By the way, anthrax is a fungal long infection that kills humans. Humidity caused fungal infections are the tarantula version.