• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member. Introducing Rudy.

Eightleggedfreak

Hi from Oldham in the U.K.

I'm still pretty new to this and have had Rudy for about seven months. I'm not sure how old she is exactly but I've seen one molt since I've had her, in fact I'm not sure she's even a she yet, but I wanted to keep my first molt intact so I'll use the next one to find out for sure. She's a Brachypelma Vagans with a slightly antisocial side to her, despite not minding being handled on the odd occasion. Anyway, I'll be searching the forums here for advice and tips on keeping her healthy and happy.

Attachments

• IMG-20181217-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20181217-WA0000.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 15

Eightleggedfreak

Some shots of her in the first few months. The last one is the best mid-molt angle I could get without disturbing her. I had a feeling she was due as she wasn't eating and hid away more than usual so when I saw this I was very relieved there wasn't actually something wrong.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181218-072639.png
    Screenshot_20181218-072639.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20181218-072818.png
    Screenshot_20181218-072818.png
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20181218-072908.png
    Screenshot_20181218-072908.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20181218-072922.png
    Screenshot_20181218-072922.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181218-073046.png
    Screenshot_20181218-073046.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20181218-073205.png
    Screenshot_20181218-073205.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 20181218_073349.png
    20181218_073349.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20181218-073234.png
    Screenshot_20181218-073234.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Eightleggedfreak

I have a heat mat that is almost as big as her tank so I only have half of it in use to warm half of it and leave half cool.

Is it a daft idea to get another T and put the tanks side by side so the mat warms half of each?

I know it's advised to have heating from the side rather than below but she digs down on the cooler side anyway and only sits above the mat for short spells like she's come out for a warm.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a heat mat that is almost as big as her tank so I only have half of it in use to warm half of it and leave half cool.

Is it a daft idea to get another T and put the tanks side by side so the mat warms half of each?

I know it's advised to have heating from the side rather than below but she digs down on the cooler side anyway and only sits above the mat for short spells like she's come out for a warm.

Do you really need a heat mat? If your room is warm enough for you to sit in comfort it is warm enough for your Ts. The temps in my room are around 75/76F during the day in winter but drops to around.64F.
If you feel you need for a heat mat you must use a thermostat to protect against overheating or fire.

Eightleggedfreak

Do you really need a heat mat? If your room is warm enough for you to sit in comfort it is warm enough for your Ts. The temps in my room are around 75/76F during the day in winter but drops to around.64F.
If you feel you need for a heat mat you must use a thermostat to protect against overheating or fire.

Yes, it's blooming cold here in Oldham up on the tops. Her tank is a steady 75 during the day. Before I got the mat the poor thing hardly moved at all it was that cold.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi from Oldham in the U.K.

I'm still pretty new to this and have had Rudy for about seven months. I'm not sure how old she is exactly but I've seen one molt since I've had her, in fact I'm not sure she's even a she yet, but I wanted to keep my first molt intact so I'll use the next one to find out for sure. She's a Brachypelma Vagans with a slightly antisocial side to her, despite not minding being handled on the odd occasion. Anyway, I'll be searching the forums here for advice and tips on keeping her healthy and happy.
Hi and welcome to the forum. And hi to a fellow UK memeber whi is not too far away from me either. read all the other advice here, agree with @Enn49 with the heat mat, if you have to use, please try and invest in a thermostat and no, it's not a silly idea to place tanks side by side to share the heat. You are doing it right by having warm and cold spots. I have lots if tanks side by side, stacked whatever....but with 202 spiders, I don't really get the choice. I have a dedicated oil filled heater in a spider house so it warms the ambient air and therefore no risk of burns for the spiders. But that is only really a viable option for a large collection....so do it! Get more Ts LOL.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a heat mat because the living room is cold, especially this time of year. The thermometer is digital and I adjust the mat temp daily to keep it nice. It's an old stone house so the insulation isn't the best.
I know those type of houses well...was in your neck of the woods on Sunday actually picking up 4 more for my collection.:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Where from? Is there a seller in Oldham?
it was someone who had 4 that she needed to rehome due to personal circumstances, so not a seller as such. I sell spiders all the time though and have a vendor review and a for sale list on this forum if ever you are on the look out for some new additions. :)

Latest posts