• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Member Here

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello all you spider people!
I've been a member of the tortoise forum for many years, and when I recently did a post asking for a good tarantula source, one of the mods recommended I come here and check it out. I liked it so much, I decided to join!

I've been in the reptile/invert trade since the 80s and been keeping tarantulas on a very small scale for most of that time. I've only ever been a casual tarantula keeper and most of my experience has been with a variety of Brachypelma and Grammostola species, but I've had Avicularia and a few others over the years too. I'm hoping to learn a lot from your community here, and I've already been reading a bunch of threads.

I currently have a single female Brazilian Black. She's my avatar over there. I had two males, but they died of old age at around 5 or 6 years old if memory serves. I never took the time to try to breed them, but its something I've always wanted to try, which is what brought me here. I'm looking to buy a few more pulchra slings and raise them up. Please feel free to recommend sellers here, or message me if you have some, or know of someone selling some.

I should have three curly hairs arriving this coming Tuesday, and that will be the second time I've dabbled with that species. I also have some experience with pulchripes, but I was still calling them auriostriata to give you an idea of the time frame. I had Brachypelma back in the old days when we were still getting them from the wild, and quite a few Chilean rose hairs have occupied my reptile rooms over the years.

Also of note, I've been keeping and breeding roaches since the early 90s. At one time I had 18 species in 40+ bins. Now I'm down to only 3 species, but if any one is in the Southern CA area you are welcome to as many free dubia, lateralis, or hissers as you want. I need an outlet for the excess. I feed them to my fish, but I don't have many other insectivores around anymore. All but one of my local pet shops don't seem too interested, and neither did anyone on the chameleon forum. I don't have the time or interest in shipping them, but I'm happy to give them away. I hate crickets for a truck load of reasons. Don't want them around. But I enjoy my roach colonies.

I also breed three species of tortoise. Soon to be four, if I can ever get a male radiata. I've got sulcatas, South African Leopards, and Burmese Stars.

I am an animal trainer by trade, and I make my living providing animals for the entertainment industry. Been doing that since '96. I'm also a falconer, and that takes up all my free time during the hunting season, but there not much to do with that in the off season.

I welcome questions and conversation and look forward to getting to know your forum.

Latest posts