• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member! Hello!

TareLee

3 Year Member
Hi everyone! I am a proud new mom to a Grammostola maule aka Chilean gold fluff. This is my first spider ever so I am pretty excited. He/she was born in late August and I just got him/her 8 days ago :)

His/her name is Freddie (or Freddi? Lol).

Right now I'm a little concerned as Fred hasn't eaten since he got home. I'm wondering if maybe he is nervous/acclimating or perhaps he is pre-moult?
If anyone more experienced has some advice for a newbie it would be greatly appreciated!

So hello!

<3 Tare and Freddie!!!!

TareLee

3 Year Member
PS when I took him home from the pet store they were just about to feed him his weekly meal, which means he now hasn't eaten in approx. 15 days total as they were feeding him once weekly there.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It is likely just taking her some time to settle in. And make sure the food you are offering isn't too large/small. Other than that just be patient.

Welcome!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Tare, WTTB.
If the T you posted a pic of in the other thread is Freddie, she was definitely not hatched in 8 of 12. Gramastola sp grow very slowly, and had it been born in August, it would be no more than 3/4".
Unfortunately most pet stores are full of mis-information.
Gorgeous lady regardless.

TareLee

3 Year Member
Thanks!!! Oops. Yeah I guess I don't know how old then.

They got her at the pet store on 12/14/12 and said they "get them in from a breeder in California as soon as they are old enough to ship, which is usually around 3-4 months". But obviously that was wrong!
Is there any way to guess how old she actually is?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks!!! Oops. Yeah I guess I don't know how old then.

They got her at the pet store on 12/14/12 and said they "get them in from a breeder in California as soon as they are old enough to ship, which is usually around 3-4 months". But obviously that was wrong!
Is there any way to guess how old she actually is?

well, there is no "old enough to ship" you can literally ship eggs . Unfortunately, no. There's no way to accurately determine her age. That said I'd be confident that she's at least 3-4 years old.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, she looks to be about 4" or so. and they grow very slowly. 3/4-1" a year, is probably even a little generous.

TareLee

3 Year Member
:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts