• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here and have some bold jumping spider care questions!

Hi yall,
I'm new here! I have always wanted a jumping spider, and have been looking for one for 3 months. I almost gave up, but before yesterday, I found a male bold/daring jumping spider in the house! I was thrilled! I named him Percy! He is currently in a 10g bin with some sticks and coca soil, but I would like to transfer to something smaller. I was wondering If I could keep him in a Kritter Keeper of about 5g (if so, add a link to a good one $10-20pref. I want something small because I intend of catching more of these. So for my care... Every day, I mist a side of his cage. Every 2-3 days I catch him a fly, carefully trim its wings (just trim them, not pull them out, so it can't fly away) and he happily eats it. Every 1-2 weeks, he will get a baby cricket. Every day, I also let him hop on my table for a bit. Also, Is there any way I can make him less scared of me? I really want to breed jumping spiders someday! TYSM!

MBullock

3 Year Member
Let them do what they want and never try to grab or block them. never approach from above. try to present your hand as a platform, perhaps let a mealworm crawl on your palm to bribe it into hopping onto your hand. feeding with forceps is a good way to get them to fear you less, too- though, again, dont loom over them- it totally freaks them out.

they have personalities and some just never mellow out. captive bred specimens are much friendlier, generally as they spend their whole development with a human, basically.

i personally just use 32 oz delicups- upside down so they dont web the lid up. decorations make them alot happier as they need enrichment

Let them do what they want and never try to grab or block them. never approach from above. try to present your hand as a platform, perhaps let a mealworm crawl on your palm to bribe it into hopping onto your hand. feeding with forceps is a good way to get them to fear you less, too- though, again, dont loom over them- it totally freaks them out.

they have personalities and some just never mellow out. captive bred specimens are much friendlier, generally as they spend their whole development with a human, basically.

i personally just use 32 oz delicups- upside down so they dont web the lid up. decorations make them alot happier as they need enrichment
TYSM!!! I actually caught another male bold jumping spider (his name is Leo). Here are pics of my habits, hopefully, they work! I hope I can find a female and breed them!

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_214917.jpg
    IMG_20210512_214917.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210512_214952.jpg
    IMG_20210512_214952.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 11

Latest posts