• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New E olivacea sling aka Critter

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The little one seems to be very chilled.

I disabled a large cricket, a meal fit for a king, and put it by him. The thing can do literally nothing but squirm. Therefore he's fine. He ignored it when it landed elsewhere in the cage because he's settled on one location.

Maybe with all the stuff overhead, he feels that he already in a burrow, which is what I intended on the first place.

The little guy hasn't dug at all and there is no webbing. Sometimes when slings don't web up, they start after being fed.

He has the option of waiting until the cricket dies or getting it when still fresh. My other OW slings usually got to them after an hour or so.

The advantage of doing this to crickets is that they stay fresh and provide some stimulation indicating life. They also provide a larger meal that wouldn't be safe any other way.

E olivacea Critter edit 1.jpg
E olivacea Critter edit 2.jpg
E olivacea Critter edit 3.jpg

Enjoy the pics. Otherwise, he seems fine.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A newly molted T won't eat anyway & if they do rest before the fangs harden, it can bust them up leading to a slow death by starvation. That's any feeder. Give them a week and plenty of water.

It's best to remove feeders if a T has molted so it had some peace and quiet.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both the cricket and Critter have vanished. The little guy really doesn't stay in one place for and length of time.

I was under the impression that they were not webbers and borrowed all the time. So far, not so much. The cage probably has enough clutter to make him feel secure as is.

You never know where he'll turn up!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yep, he sure ate it. He was at a funny angle, but I got some halfway decent photos of him after his or her first meal.

E olivacea Critter after first meal 1.jpg
E olivacea Critter after first meal 2.jpg
E olivacea Critter after first meal 3.jpg

The abdomen is noticably larger & you can see a bit of golden yellow which is similar to the adult coloration. The remains of the cricket are literally gone, nothing to clean up. Still, there's almost no web and no burrow, but Critter is doing just fine.