• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New dubia colony

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
I am excited to say my dubia colony is officially started I originally bought roughly 50 med and large nymphs for my T's without doing a huge amount looking into them after feeding some off and letting the others grow I ended up with 7 or 8 males and 22-23 females now I've got a nice small breeding colony I'm up to 100 or so small nymps I'm going to continue to let the colony grow so 1 I can supply my T's with food and 2 supply people with a better alternitave to crickets locally mainly friends and people I know in to reptiles and other such animals

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
oh ok thanks for that info.. I will only get a number I am sure I will use if I finally cave in and decide to feed strictly roaches.
You don't have to feed strictly roaches. I use both roaches and crickets as neither the GBB or Genic will eat the dubai yet. All of my tiny slings devour the lateralis pin heads though. Roaches are more bang for the buck than crickets, but i've read some people like to mix them up for a more complete diet.

I just remembered we put a dubai in the enclosure with the Genic before we left for the weekend. Hopefully there will be a bolus when i get back tomorrow night. Most likely it'll be burrowed down and ignored.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You don't have to feed strictly roaches. I use both roaches and crickets as neither the GBB or Genic will eat the dubai yet. All of my tiny slings devour the lateralis pin heads though. Roaches are more bang for the buck than crickets, but i've read some people like to mix them up for a more complete diet.

I just remembered we put a dubai in the enclosure with the Genic before we left for the weekend. Hopefully there will be a bolus when i get back tomorrow night. Most likely it'll be burrowed down and ignored.
Ill bet if that spider gets hungry, she'll eat it. Some of mine didn't take to them immediately either, but they'll learn to take them before they starve.:) If not, there's always red runners;)

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
I tend to feed a mix to my slings I have been giving dubia and meal worms and adult g.rosea dubia and super worms I refuse to ever do crickets again they are noisey and smell terrible. With these cimbos all my T's are fat and healthy. I thought about doing red runners but they seem to have a explosive breeding rate and wasn't down for that lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ill bet if that spider gets hungry, she'll eat it. Some of mine didn't take to them immediately either, but they'll learn to take them before they starve.:) If not, there's always red runners;)
I'm hoping so too :) I have an order of mixed sizes - pinheads and up to 1/2" i think that should be here tomorrow. If the genic hasn't eaten the dubai over the weekend i'll try a red.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tend to feed a mix to my slings I have been giving dubia and meal worms and adult g.rosea dubia and super worms I refuse to ever do crickets again they are noisey and smell terrible. With these cimbos all my T's are fat and healthy. I thought about doing red runners but they seem to have a explosive breeding rate and wasn't down for that lol
Depends on the size i think. My pinheads haven't exploded. I started with 25 plus the extra freebies. I haven't seen any tiny ones yet, and the largest pinhead is now about 1/8" i'd guess.

I have a ton of cricket feed as that's what we started feeding our first T. So I've been giving them the dry calcium feed and using the water gels with an orange cube, all from Flukers.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I am excited to say my dubia colony is officially started I originally bought roughly 50 med and large nymphs for my T's without doing a huge amount looking into them after feeding some off and letting the others grow I ended up with 7 or 8 males and 22-23 females now I've got a nice small breeding colony I'm up to 100 or so small nymps I'm going to continue to let the colony grow so 1 I can supply my T's with food and 2 supply people with a better alternitave to crickets locally mainly friends and people I know in to reptiles and other such animals
Very nice. Just mix up their foods. They always have roach chow and water crysts, but every week I give them also a different fruit or veggie.
Mine love apples, lettuce, and mango.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I'm hoping so too :) I have an order of mixed sizes - pinheads and up to 1/2" i think that should be here tomorrow. If the genic hasn't eaten the dubai over the weekend i'll try a red.
Every sling I have loves the pinheads.
I feed my pinheads regular roach chow, and add fruits. They destroy apples.
They are fast, and can escape easy, BUT are a great feeder for slings. My geckos even love em

Latest posts