• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New cage build -- No longer lonely

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just ordered a E olivacea sling from Jamie's. $90 is expensive, but it's like an OBT at a black tie party in a way. If it wasn't so much, I would've gotten 2 of them.

Here's the cage I built.

I guess you can say that I was screwing around. Since this is a juvenile cage, the T will eventually grow out of it & I want to be able to clean it up later. It's not a forever home because this isn't a dwarf species.

E olivacea cage 4.jpg
E olivacea cage 3.jpg
E olivacea cage 2.jpg
E olivacea cage 1.jpg

Best of all, the only thing I needed to buy were a few very small aquarium plants from Walmart. I'll probably put black paper on the back of the cage. I'll only tape it at the top so that I can lift it up and see the tarantula.

I also put in a small water tube so I don't have to open the feeding port to add water. These guys are supposed to be like the OBT & I don't want to stimulate the tarantula for no reason. If the sling is big enough, I'll pull the tube and just use my squirter instead of a dropper.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's a few more shots of the cage.

E olivacea cage 5.jpg
E olivacea cage 6.jpg
E olivacea cage 7.jpg
E olivacea cage 8.jpg
E olivacea cage 9.jpg

I think it turned out well. There's plenty of hiding places, which usually helps you see the critter more often, counter intuitive though it seems.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Silly me!!

After reviewing my notes, I forgot the last step. This involves keeping both cage sections together.

The lower screws are well under the substrate and so pose no threat to the tarantula. The rubber bands need not be of equal size.

E olivacea 12a.jpg
E olivacea cage 11a.jpg

This fixes a potential flaw in these cases that happen if both sections loosen up. Obviously, you should always lift the cage from the bottom only.

That doesn't change. ;)

There you go. Here's how to screw up a cage (in a good way). :)

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I reread the shipping schedule for Jamie's, won't be too long!!

Now the wait....

I'm anticipating something quick like H pulchripes or M balfouri but with more arboreal tendencies, kinda like halfway between a pokie and a fast OW terrestrial, eg greased lightning.

I'm definitely putting in multiple obstacles to escape!! (Namely tote in the tub with a cold water mote with the cage being on a styrofoam island contained within a bathtub also with a few inches of water in case it breaches the tote)

My H pulchripes stuck one little foot into the cold water and then contented himself with running around the outside of the cage for a minute or so until I tired him out.

I had to rehouse him due to mold.

It's too bad I didn't film it!!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just got him in. At the present time the videos are merging. The stupid camera limits me to 10 minutes and cut off the last minute. For some reason, the orientation changed by itself. Maybe I need to use different camera software in the second part, but the entire transfer was captured and I got the camera angle right as well.

The post office idiot lied and said that no one was there even though I was watching the door the whole time. Heck, I didn't even use the restroom!! I really let the post office know what happened and they said they'd write up the driver.

The manager was very sympathetic when I explained that there was a living thing in it, thought that tarantulas are fascinating but didn't have the nerve to take the plunge. The liar will be written up and disciplined. He's not a first time offender!!

Jamie is once again my total heroine!! It'll be uploaded some time today after I play it a few times on my TV. Samsung can clone the images...badly but whatever.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, here's the transfer.

Perfect except for vanishing rubber bands.

EDITED: The first link contained a flawed video. Now I have the correct one plus a few moments with the sling afterwards.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a cricket chilling in the fridge. Under most situations, he's actually to big for a little guy like mine.

Can a cricket kill a tarantula in these circumstances? Absolutely!!

But not with only two front legs on one side of it's body !!

This is the same trick I used to get my C versicolor, H pulchripes & my M balfouri. They just love wounded prey, circle to the blind side and kill it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I moved the wounded cricket closer to him so maybe he won't overlook it. He was very chilled out and didn't move a bit as I slowly separated the cage.

I'm sure the attitude will change, but I'll enjoy this as long as it lasts.

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
The water tube is interesting never seen anyone do that before, and the steampunk looking feeding hole is cool too. Only questioning the lack of substrate since I like to make the T's feel like they have some type of natural stuff in there but I'm sure you're not the only one doing it.

Latest posts