• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Brit on board - Please help

FrostyFrog

Hi,

I am new to this forum, but have had the pleasure of caring for a collection of 8 tarantulas for about three years.

Yesterday a friend of a friend turned up on my doorstep with three spiders he didn't want anymore. Fortunately I have plenty of room in my environmentally controlled "cupboard" to house them.

So the issue I have is being able to accurately identify the species to ensure I provide the correct care and conditions. I have attached photos numbered 1 to 3 and would appreciate any help you can offer.

Many Thanks

Frosty Frog

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 24

FrostyFrog

Also - who on this forum has got the most in their collection?

I got started after a chance visit to the next-door neighbour of my in-laws, who I thought had a massive private collection of 108 adult arachnids. But I've since found out that in some circles that would be considered mid sized. His energy bills must be astronomical here in cold wet England.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome. :)
Did the person who gave you the tarantulas not know what species they were.
I am in the cold wet NE UK and use no extra heating for my 50 tarantulas, I just keep the day time temperature in my rooms at around 22C and they seem to thrive.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
The spiders 1 and 2 are Lasiodora Parahybana (LP) suspect 3 being the same but you need pictures with different position of the spider for more accurate guess.
I live in UK too and don't use temperature control units.As long as room is 18°C ish spiders will be fine.I keep my collection 50 ish specimens on a rack in my bedroom without any additional heat.
Teperature is 18 -33°C depending on what whether is outside.
Regards Konstantin

FrostyFrog

He had no idea, claimed they were baboon spiders, err don't think so. I'm pretty sure I know what they are, but naturally I'm not confident to air my limited knowledge on a forum of experts.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I too live in the UK & until this past winter, our lounge had no radiator in it. We would simply leave the hall door open & the lounge remained at a reasonable level of warmth. Last summer we had a new heating system fitted & included a lounge radiator in that.

Over the winter we keep temperatures at around 19.5 & find our T's are happy with that. We even had a few molts over winter this year.

I am not sure on the ID. But my LP's look very much like those. So luck you, they are lovely T's & if female, will grow to impressive sizes. My largest female LP gave me an 8.5 inch (plus) molt last time.

FrostyFrog

I've built an insulated unit 8ft tall, 3ft wide and 2ft deep, which is divided into two environmentally controlled compartments. This way I've been able to provide optimum temperature in both, and in the top unit I also have a water atomiser to control humidity.

The initial design started as a display unit, but like most projects it quickly got out of control. My Mrs thinks I'm mad, but in truth, she gets just as much enjoyment feeding and observing these little characters as I do.

8 Legs Only

Hi
The spiders 1 and 2 are Lasiodora Parahybana (LP) suspect 3 being the same but you need pictures with different position of the spider for more accurate guess.
I live in UK too and don't use temperature control units.As long as room is 18°C ish spiders will be fine.I keep my collection 50 ish specimens on a rack in my bedroom without any additional heat.
Teperature is 18 -33°C depending on what whether is outside.
Regards Konstantin
I agree I think your spot on. The third I was curious about to but if I had to guess I'd also say LP