• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Brachypelma albopilosum - the "true one" - ordered

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I just wanted to share this with you...

I made something quite foolish today. I sold my one and only Idiothele mira (adult female)... to buy... three slings of Brachypelma albopilosum.

Why have I done this? Am I insane/looney/crazy/stupid???

I know, I know... Idiothele mira are very interesting creatures, making trapdoors to hunt. They are beautiful with their blue feet. And they are rather calm according to OW standards.

But I had two problems: first, I really don't have any places left in my appartement. If I want one more T, I have to get rid of another one. Secondly, I never - NEVER! - see my I mira, not even her blue feet at the entrance of the burrow. Which made me kind of frustrated.

When I saw in the last BTS journal the article about the "true" Brachypelma albopilosum, and the stunning photos, so different of the ones I knew - it was impossible for me to resist.

Then, I ordered three slings of "true" B albo, newly bred from - cough - wild specimens from Nicaragua. And I sold my mira.

Maybe in the NW you have regularly true B albo, but in Europa, they are very very rare. You can find photos on Google if you want to see one: they are so fuzzy!

Anyway, I posted this to know your feelings about all this, specially for those you have B albo: are they in your opinion plain brown and trite tarantulas, or do you also find them beautiful? Have I done a mistake?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I adore them to bits!
Yes, they unfairly get a reputation as being only for beginners, and some people say that they think they are ugly or dull looking, but those are personal opinions and should not influence how others feel about them. They are lively, visible and very entertaining as well.
My Chloe looked like those extra fluffy B. albos, but she was wild caught and an adult when I bought her almost 15 years ago. She passed away a couple of years back and I miss her horribly. Now I have three - two juvenile females and one 1/4" spiderling. I love them and find them to be fabulous... even if they aren't as fluffy as the wild caught from Nicaragua are.
This girl is the farthest thing from being ugly in my books...
_DSC1262-2.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I adore my 3 B. albos. The first one I got was a freebie and I instantly fell in love with that little sling that dug constantly so much so that I bought 2 more. They are just so active as slings but as they grow they stay on the surface and look stunning. I'm sure you won't regret your decision.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I adore them to bits!
Yes, they unfairly get a reputation as being only for beginners, and some people say that they think they are ugly or dull looking, but those are personal opinions and should not influence how others feel about them. They are lively, visible and very entertaining as well.
My Chloe looked like those extra fluffy B. albos, but she was wild caught and an adult when I bought her almost 15 years ago. She passed away a couple of years back and I miss her horribly. Now I have three - two juvenile females and one 1/4" spiderling. I love them and find them to be fabulous... even if they aren't as fluffy as the wild caught from Nicaragua are.
This girl is the farthest thing from being ugly in my books...
View attachment 16387
Certainly not ugly:) I love mine, but she don't have as nice of a hairdo as the true ones:)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
My three little B albo slings arrived one week ago by post... Unfortunately, they all died within a week! Don't know why, they were truly tiny, maybe the 5-days postage trip was too much for them? Anyway I'm really sad... Don't know what happened...

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@NicolasC I'm so sorry, that must have been heartbreaking for you. Did you let the seller know? They may replace them for you even though they weren't DOAs.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Thanks everybody for your kind words. First time it happens this way for me... Hope it wasn't my mistake? But I don't think so, as it happened very fast...

@Enn49 unfortunately they won't give me a refund nor some replacement Ts, as they don't have a DOA policy, and anyway the spiders were alive when I rehoused them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Nicolas C It's always worth a try. I had a T die after it had been here 12 weeks and only mentioned it to the shop in case they'd had problems with others from that batch (I suspect it was WC by its size) but they sent me another.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just wanted to share this with you...

I made something quite foolish today. I sold my one and only Idiothele mira (adult female)... to buy... three slings of Brachypelma albopilosum.

Why have I done this? Am I insane/looney/crazy/stupid???

I know, I know... Idiothele mira are very interesting creatures, making trapdoors to hunt. They are beautiful with their blue feet. And they are rather calm according to OW standards.

But I had two problems: first, I really don't have any places left in my appartement. If I want one more T, I have to get rid of another one. Secondly, I never - NEVER! - see my I mira, not even her blue feet at the entrance of the burrow. Which made me kind of frustrated.

When I saw in the last BTS journal the article about the "true" Brachypelma albopilosum, and the stunning photos, so different of the ones I knew - it was impossible for me to resist.

Then, I ordered three slings of "true" B albo, newly bred from - cough - wild specimens from Nicaragua. And I sold my mira.

Maybe in the NW you have regularly true B albo, but in Europa, they are very very rare. You can find photos on Google if you want to see one: they are so fuzzy!

Anyway, I posted this to know your feelings about all this, specially for those you have B albo: are they in your opinion plain brown and trite tarantulas, or do you also find them beautiful? Have I done a mistake?
I ordered 4 of the's slings too earlier this month from The Spider Shop (UK). Good at hiding I know that.....lol. managed to keep all existing so 21 is now 25. If you really want to question did I do the right thing.....I also bought 3 x Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus (LSD/Indain Rainbow Tarntulas) at a wallet shrinking price.....lol.. I think you did the right thing @Nicolas C even if you did doubt yourself ☺