• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New baby!

Ophidia

3 Year Member
I added two new babies yesterday. One is a fuzzy little curly hair. Pic below. He/she/it is about 2.5-3" leg span. It has a nice little burrow in it's clear plastic spider box. It seems pretty skittish (as in it startles a lot when you're looking at it an is startled by movement when the lid is off) but isn't flicking any butthairs or doing any threat displays. I'm looking forward to getting it home and settled in.

Pic below:
0525150023e.jpg

Ophidia

3 Year Member
She (hopeful thinking, don't know for sure yet) got transferred to her new home a little while ago. I made it from scrap plexiglass I had left over from making a cage for my A. diversepes that I got at the same time, so I made a 10x10x3 cage with a hinged top. What a docile, gentle little creature-- I let her sit on my hand for a while, then used a paint brush to gently herd her into the new cage. She decided to dart over the side and wander off. I corralled her into a cup (just in case she was getting agitated). I got a single butthair flick, and that was the extent of the defensiveness. My 6 year old daughter was delighted to see the spider on my hand. Now that I have that out of my system, I'll leave her be to get used to her new home.

Love this fuzzy little spider.

fuzzyheld.jpg

gex

3 Year Member
Looks like a real nice little T! Is it just the oicture or is there quite a bit of bluish colouring......sorry for my amatuerness haha

Ophidia

3 Year Member
It's just the picture, from the flash on my phone. I didn't think to grab the real camera (though it's set up on a tripod in the critter room :) ).

Ophidia

3 Year Member
This little brown tarantula has loads of personality. Not a skittish hair flicker like my LP, or a maniac like my A. diversepes. Just a gentle, furry, goofy little thing. I love it!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are adorable. What they lack in colour they certainly make up for in personality. I'd never have chosen a curly but I got a freebie with an order and promptly fell in love so I bought 2 more, the largest is about 1.5'' and has stopped hiding away since its last moult..

Ophidia

3 Year Member
Well, it molted, and it looks like he's a he. I should probably buy another one to try to get a female, don't you think? Hehe. I did just get a female B. vagans. Contrary to what I've read about B. vagans being more skittish and defensive, this one is a rock. The paintbrush won't even get her to move. I have to shove her or scoop her up.

Latest posts