• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New B sabulosum sling

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Or should I say, 4 new ones!!

I purchased what I figured was just 2 or so slings from Arachnoclown & much to my surprise he sent me 4 of them!!

They were perfectly packaged with everything you need to keep them going, even down to the enclosures.

I did swap those because I had lots and lots of clear ones left over from a surprise delivery from my H spinifer scorpion, 23 scorplings.

(I raised those communally because it was more practical in the end & they are rehomed.)

One of those little guys was just chilling out in plain sight so here he is.

I have flour beetles and pinhead lats from Jamie's on the way but they're getting fruit flies tomorrow. I can't get over how tiny they are, even smaller then my very first T, a Versicolor sling.

I'm sure that they'll all be impressive. I've always been a bit perplexed why people get 3 or 4 at once but one benefit is that at least one of them is bound to be a female.

B sabulosum sling 1.jpg
B sabulosum sling 2.jpg
B sabulosum sling 3.jpg
B sabulosum sling 4.jpg

They sure are cute aren't they?

They were packed in vials with cotton at both ends. Unpacking was simplicity itself.You just get real long thin tweezers, remove one piece of cotton and gently push the other one through the center of the vial and out the other side at which point the sling runs into it's new home and vanishes within the blink of an eye.

B sabulosum itself is a handsome spider that resembles B vagens but has red colors in the legs and a few other differences. These guys are excellent beginner spiders, maybe as juveniles. Slings are always a bit challenging to deal with until they get to an inch or so at which point they are just another tarantula.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I certainly will.

With 4, I'm almost certain to get both males and females. I just have fed them sliced Dubai roaches, 2 slashed in halves long ways...sorta.

I've heard that people can do the prekilled thing but I've tried that before on a very small sling, my Versicolor to be exact, and got zero interest.

The fruit flies got out of the airholes making that attempt to feed a total failure. When the pin head lats and flour beetles arrive from Jamie's, they will get live food. I don't want to wait that long however.

Still, all seem well but they can hide like special ops soldiers when they want to.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard that people can do the prekilled thing but I've tried that before on a very small sling, my Versicolor to be exact, and got zero interest.
Many say avics/caribenas/etc... are picky in that aspect, however it's good to give tiny slings time to scavenge. Fruit flies have zero nutritional value, they are more of a hassle than anything. I always feed my slings prekilled prey. I give them at least 12 hrs.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree fruit flies have next to no nutritional value but they are way easier to feed to 300 plus slings then pinheads of any type or even prekilled. You can gut load flies the same and even add supplement dust to them. I always hear what a pain they are...they are The easiest and fastest for me. Example.... The other day I fed 225 slings live pinheads...it took 4.5 hours. I fed 330 slings fruit flies in 1.5 hours. Each sling was getting 4-5 Fruit flies. Maybe I should do a feeding video on how to use fruit flies because I don't think anyone knows how. If you have one or two slings it's not worth feeding fruit flies. When you have hundreds to feed...I'm using fruit flies. By the way if your fruit flies are escaping your air holes are too big...use a thumb tack to make your holes.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree fruit flies have next to no nutritional value but they are way easier to feed to 300 plus slings then pinheads of any type or even prekilled. You can gut load flies the same and even add supplement dust to them. I always hear what a pain they are...they are The easiest and fastest for me. Example.... The other day I fed 225 slings live pinheads...it took 4.5 hours. I fed 330 slings fruit flies in 1.5 hours. Each sling was getting 4-5 Fruit flies. Maybe I should do a feeding video on how to use fruit flies because I don't think anyone knows how. If you have one or two slings it's not worth feeding fruit flies. When you have hundreds to feed...I'm using fruit flies. By the way if your fruit flies are escaping your air holes are too big...use a thumb tack to make your holes.

What happened upon further examination is I made one air hole big enough for an eye dropper to work when I add the water dishes. They got out through that. I examined the slings carefully. They are about twice as wide as the eye dropper & therefore can't get out.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What happened upon further examination is I made one air hole big enough for an eye dropper to work when I add the water dishes. They got out through that. I examined the slings carefully. They are about twice as wide as the eye dropper & therefore can't get out.
At this life stage for deli cup enclosures I use a insulin syringe to give water.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have some on the way from Jamie's as it is. Hopefully they grow fast and get out of the sling stage. I'll feel better when they're 1 inch, better still at 2 inches.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At this life stage for deli cup enclosures I use a insulin syringe to give water.
I always use a syringe and/or a measuring cup when adding water to enclosures, it's better to measure what you're adding, you can easily add too much going by eye. I find that it's better to be consistent so that each enclosure needs water added at the same time, that way I only really need to check one if I'm worried between feeding times. I also mix up as much substrate as I can at the one time, that way I can see how moist the substrate is just by comparing the colour to the substrate in the surrounding enclosures as it is exactly the same mix even though they might have been set up months apart.
Laziness is the mother of innovation!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm just using very light misting. I typically have slight condensation on the sides with slightly moist substrate. I'm adding water to the green moss in each enclosure.

I just wonder where the other 2 are. All 4 enclosures are pretty much the same. I've had to number them to tell them apart.

Where's the best place to get such an insulin syringe?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm just using very light misting. I typically have slight condensation on the sides with slightly moist substrate. I'm adding water to the green moss in each enclosure.

I just wonder where the other 2 are. All 4 enclosures are pretty much the same. I've had to number them to tell them apart.

Where's the best place to get such an insulin syringe?
You can get syringes from the Chemist (Pharmacy?) very cheaply. With small children they are often used to measure and administer medicine, without a needle of course.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pharmacies for the needle syringes...they may also have none needle ones too. I got mine none needle ones at petsmart. Both are great to use...the needle is great when you don't want to take the lid off to water.

Latest posts