• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New attempt at heating

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, so I am trying different heating methods for my wood enclosure where I keep my tarantula enclosures. Mostly in prep for winter but also colder nights. On a long mirrored piece of glass I taped 2 inch high pieces of styrofoam and looped 25 watt heating cable on top of the foam that is secured by electrical tape. I felt by spacing the cables 2 inches would avoid heating the mirror and heat the air instead. I have not tried it yet, but I am looking for any suggestions.

I have been using a heating pad affixed to a 3/32 piece of glass at the back and putting the acrylic enclosures 3/4 to 1+ inches away. The air in-between is between 80-85 degrees F, although cooler throughout the rest of the enclosure. The tarantulas seem to like it. If you look real close, all four of my tarantulas are up on the wall facing the heat. I don't keep it on all the time and I move the enclosures around and vary the distances.

Attachments

• 20210715_094945~3.jpg
    20210715_094945~3.jpg
    959.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210710_111048~2.jpg
    20210710_111048~2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I don't have much to add, but I'm curious about some details here. I always had it that heat mats went on an expanded polystyrene backing to reflect the heat to where it was generally supposed to go. Is the heat cable on the mirror intended to have the same effect? What about the other: is the pad behind the glass, or in front of it? If behind, to what end?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the interest and questions. They are helpful.

The idea for the heating cables, for me, was functional, availability and appearance. I wanted to try something that would spread the heat out wider to cover more enclosures, although I do have several smaller reptile heating pads in addition to the larger one shown. I had the mirrored glass already as a way for me to see the other side of the enclosures and hopefully more of a chance to see what the little buggers were up to, without being as intrusive.

I am not sure how much heat they will put out and it may be awhile as temperatures will be in the 90s today, but somewhat cooler after.
I have them about 2 inches from the glass as I am unclear as to what impact they would have on the display glass although the instructions say they are safe to wind around wood and placed under glass aquariums (with footings on the aquarium). Also I thought it would heat the air in the mostly enclosed area.
I may do as you suggest and add foam to reflect the heat (although it may reduce visuals).

As for the heating pad behind the glass, I needed to do that as the reptile pad needs glass to adhere to and it offered an additional barrier as my intent was not to cook the tarantulas. I do not put it up against any t enclosure but keep it 3/4 to an inch or more away. The glass let me move and thereby adjust the heating elment.

Thanks again for your response.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I'm curious what temperature the room typically is at? What kind of heat does your house utilize? My house is small enough and warm enough not to require additional heat for my ts.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It ranges dramatically and there is a central thermostat for the upstairs rooms, one of which is where I sleep and share living space with the tarantulas. I like it cool even in winter, hence my desire for an enclosure to better regulate temperatures for the Ts.
In the past three months that I have owned tarantulas, the Maine weather has been so odd and extreme that even in July the daytime temperatures have been in the 60s to 90s, and cooler at night.

I also have what may be fleeting ideas about recreating the natural habitat of one or more of my tarantulas, likely G. rosea.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210716-094626_The Weather Channel.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210716-094626_The Weather Channel.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I hate to sound like a broken record on another heating thread but I'll leave just this...tarantulas are more active in cool climates (at night).

I was watching an Australian show a few evenings ago, they were working overnight as it was cooler, but that was still in the mid 30's. Cooler nighttime temperatures, in our T's native environments, could be warmer than, what we call warm weather in our local daytime environments.

Aracnoenthusiast

3 Year Member
I hate to sound like a broken record on another heating thread but I'll leave just this...tarantulas are more active in cool climates (at night).
Mine all do quite well without additional heating. Low 50s (farenheit) overnight. And I will say that they are usually more active in the 60s than they are in the 80s

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Mine all do quite well without additional heating. Low 50s (farenheit) overnight. And I will say that they are usually more active in the 60s than they are in the 80s

We see far more molts during the summer months, but they all seem to survive perfectly OK over winter without any extra heat.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Ok that is all great info. I will mull it over.
So why is it that my tarantulas will come out and climb the walls and bask in the radiant heat?

augiemolly

Ok, so I am trying different heating methods for my wood enclosure where I keep my tarantula enclosures. Mostly in prep for winter but also colder nights. On a long mirrored piece of glass I taped 2 inch high pieces of styrofoam and looped 25 watt heating cable on top of the foam that is secured by electrical tape. I felt by spacing the cables 2 inches would avoid heating the mirror and heat the air instead. I have not tried it yet, but I am looking for any suggestions.

I have been using a heating pad affixed to a 3/32 piece of glass at the back and putting the acrylic enclosures 3/4 to 1+ inches away. The air in-between is between 80-85 degrees F, although cooler throughout the rest of the enclosure. The tarantulas seem to like it. If you look real close, all four of my tarantulas are up on the wall facing the heat. I don't keep it on all the time and I move the enclosures around and vary the distances.
Another option that I am using because my furnace died this winter and I´m using space heaters right now for heat and I ´ve been using these for seed starting for years. You can purchase a better quality horticultural seed starting mat. It is a heavy duty rubber mat encased in a metal frame that slides right out of the frame if desired. It produces a very gentle consistent heat not nearly as hot or harsh as cables or regular heating pads. Nice gentle radiant heat. I wouldn´t put an enclosure on top of one but just close enough to warm the air the air surrounding the enclosures. I think it would be perfect for an enclosure full of smaller enclosures. FWIW :)

Latest posts